topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Process Tamer Eating My CPU  (Read 6997 times)

ppendlet

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Process Tamer Eating My CPU
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:45 AM »
I'm a newby with a problem.  I found CpuEaterVs.exe in the Process Tamer's Program folder after I regained control of my computer about 30 minutes after ProcessTamerTray.exe went wild and started using 99+% of my CPU.  I noticed that the file was modified in 2005 whereas everything else was more recent.  Because of the file's descriptive name I zipped the file and deleted the original.  Would someone please tell me whether it is actually part of Process Tamer.  If it is, would someone please tell me why Process Tamer started "eating" my CPU.  I had used Process Tamer successfully for about two days before the malfunction occurred.   

I did have the box checked which forced ProcessTamerTray.exe and ProcessConfigurater.exe to high priority.  The only process I explicitly added to the Configuration Gui was msimn.exe (Outlook Express), which I had to force Process Tamer to ignore after I began to experience an "Outlook Express has experienced an unknown error and has to close now" error message.  I also had the "Tame Applications Based On CPU Usage" checked, CPU Usage Trigger Low = 08, CPU Usage High = 85, and Min. Change Interval(s) = 20.  I had the CPU Usage Measurement Smoothing Over Time pointer set to the 11th vertical mark from the right.  I had all "Show System Tray Balloon Messages" boxes checked and no "Foreground Process Special Handling" boxes checked.  Thanks in advance for your help with this problem.

Max Heisenberg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer Eating My CPU
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 01:34 AM »
There is no reason processtamertray.exe should ever register ANY cpu usage, let alone 99% - so something went wrong for sure.

First thing first - the CpuEaterVs.exe program is just a test program available to help you test how Process Tamer works.  It's only job is to purposefully start using all of your cpu so that you can test if Process Tamer sees it and tames it.  It's not changed since 2005, so there is nothing wrong there.

Now as for your problem.. I've not heard of it happening before but it sounds like maybe something was causing ProcessTamerTray to completely freak out.  The one thing i can think of is to make sure Logging is turned on and look in the log tab of the configuration (or open the file ProcessTamer.log in the program directory), and see if you see repeated entries for something that might indicate process tamer is trying to do something that isn't working.

You can email me at [email protected] if you prefer and i can try to help via email.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer Eating My CPU
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:55 AM »
Can you tell me if you are using Windows Vista operating system?