ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Macro programs - advice sought...

<< < (7/9) > >>

kfitting:
My definition of script (come up with on my own so don't get too hung up over it!) is just a file that can be run over and over to do a certain task... sort of an algorithm.  Whether you use mouse commands, keyboard commands, or a combination, scripts take actions and do them again and again.  I've written many scripts for Exel VBA to do repititive tasks like comparing, gathering data from other sheets, or even just changing menus.  I've also written Excel scripts for sorting (Stupid 1,10,2,3,... sort order!).  At work, a coworker and I have written scripts that extract data from AutoCAD drawings or draw AutoCAD drawings (we use AutoCAD LT so we have to kluge it together, usually through Excel). 

Scripts do things you do so often you don't want to them again!

Kevin

mouser:
johk (and any other Activewords users) - im really interested in hearing about where Activewords is better then Find+Run Robot.
If you have any thoughts on it, would love to hear about it on the Find+Run Robot section of the forum.

there isn't a perfect overlap in the programs, as there are probably things that ActiveWords does that Find+Run Robot doesn't want to try to do, but i know there is a lot of common ground and I'd like to hear about any areas that ActiveWords users think F+R could be improved.

rjbull:
My definition of script (come up with on my own so don't get too hung up over it!) is just a file that can be run over and over to do a certain task... sort of an algorithm.  -kfitting (October 12, 2005, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't thinking too clearly, again...  I suppose what I was wondering was how much work do you have to do from scratch, and how much does the program help you.  Viz., in PowerPro so many things are scripts because you have to know beforehand exactly what actions you want to perform, the right commands to enact them, and not leave anything out.  By contrast, Macro Express can "learn" by watching what you do.  I've found it still isn't perfect, especially when you start tweaking time delays between actions.

rjbull:
Most of you probably know PTFB, Press the Freakin' Button, the excellent freeware tool for pressing dialog buttons.  The latest version is now shareware and has been much upgraded to become (yet another) macro program.  Does anyone have any experience with the new extended version?

Current link  http://www.tlhouse.co.uk/pc_software.shtml

N.B.  I shall be on holiday 15-30 Oct., far, far from a computer!  :D

kfitting:
rjbull:  AutoIt is more of a language, but it does have a macro recorder.  I'm 80% sure AutoHotkey does as well.  AutoHotkey has a LOT more control for hotkeys, and in that application it doesnt take much reading to get the hang of.  Both of these macro languages are kind of like VBA in office: you can write everything yourself and do some very powerful stuff, or you can record a macro to quickly do repititve tasks. 

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version