ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (13/65) > >>

tomos:
related bits n pieces:

recent thread from urlwolf how to tag files in winXP

led me indirectly here:
http://idea.zanestate.edu/archives/2006/09/picture-metadata/
about picture metadata.

From the comments there:
I’m the developer of Beagle [search software] and I’m glad to say we do index both EXIF tags and XMP metadata. The XMP data has to be stored in the file, however, and not in a sidecar file.
--- End quote ---

also led me to microsoft photo info
Microsoft Photo Info is a new software add-in for Microsoft Windows that allows photographers to add, change and delete common "metadata" properties for digital photographs from inside Windows Explorer. It also provides enhanced "hover tips" and additional sort properties for digital photographs in Explorer (in Details view).
--- End quote ---

tomos:
Just tried to install ExifPro
and it doesnt install - it runs ...

then i clicked on a shortcut to my photos folder & it proceeded to create thumbnails for all 12,180 pictures
(I didnt know how many were there till now  :)  ) 
fairly quickly too it done it

but it definitely caught me off guard - I've no idea where the thumbnail cache is but sure I'll find it (well I hope so).
Wonder will it still work if I move the programme..

Anyways, it is very fast, very pleasant that way.
I can compare 2 photos in the viewer, has a magnifying glass.
I'm happy so far...

tomos:
From scanning thread again, one advantage of SmartPix -

Smart Pix does read IPTC data, and can write new data to an image also.-JeffK
--- End quote ---
-tomos (March 20, 2007, 04:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

It seems ExifPro is also IPTC compatible or whatever you'ld say

as a viewer it's wonderful - with a few caveats if that's the right expression.
Wanted to contact the authors/website but can't find any contact details.

Heres the viewer

Pros -
- You can compare up to 4 photos and have a stash of selected photos in the "Light Box" (right hand side there)
- Lots of shortcuts, e.g."B" toggles the "Preview Bar" on the top
- Fast

Cons -
- magnifying glass only works for selected picture - to change,
you have to click on a different picture, then go click on magnifying glass icon (no shortcut). Its a pain cause if you comparing photos & think you've found the best only to find it's not quite in focus...
- if you look at photos at either "end" of a folder, theres no "Back" button to get back - you have to scroll back along the preview bar (top) or go to a drop-down-list which is handy enough so long as you remember the number/name ... (don't  know do any viewers do that?)
- can't find any option to open file in an external editor
[EDIT - Alt + Enter will open file in external editor]

These are first impressions of it as a viewer. I like it

superboyac:
Wow, exifPro IS fast!  That's pretty cool.  I don't know how much it will slow down once it has thousands of pictures, but it's definitely faster than any other application I've tried.  It seems to have a lot of nifty features also, at first glance.  Perhaps this will pry me away from ACDSee, as far as my main viewer (as tomos suggested).  MrCrispy is still probably going to want several specific features, but this is a nice surprise so far.

I really liked Lightroom when I tried it, but boy, was it slow!

tomos:
Wow, exifPro IS fast!  That's pretty cool.  I don't know how much it will slow down once it has thousands of pictures, but it's definitely faster than any other application I've tried.  It seems to have a lot of nifty features also, at first glance  .......... -superboyac (April 03, 2007, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

nice, innit !?!

also nice to hear it's much quicker than Lightroom  :)

I have no experience of tagging
(apart from gmail - which has given me a taste for it)
so I would be curious to hear what you think of how tagging is implemented - will try it myself too ...

Re the Viewer side of things -
could anyone compare the screenshot of ExifPro viewer above  to *their* viewer & talk about pros/cons?
I've only ever used Irfan, and well Directory Opus (which has been slowing down more & more displaying thumbnails & well isn't really so good for comparing for example)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version