ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (60/65) > >>

K.Murat:
When adding tags like People or Keywords in the Properties pane, pressing return adds the tag and lets you write another -- could you  
please make pressing Esc close the edit box? (as in workflow: Ctrl-D -> edit tags -> Esc)
-Jibz (March 06, 2012, 05:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why you need to close the EditBox? If you need to clear the EditBox you can press Ctrl + Z.

When adding tags from the Properties pane, there is a button to undo all changes at the bottom. If you make changes using keyboard shortcuts (like change label or rating), there doesn't seem to be a way to undo them. Is this by design? I can understand the keyboard shortcuts need to write the tags right away to work fast, but a Ctrl-Z undo could be handy if you make a mistake

--- End quote ---
Yes, you are right - this could be handy feature. And this is something that could be implemented. I can't to say when until we'll release 3-4 core features (Rescan Folders, Camera Importer, User Roles,...). We have our internal vote system for product features based on the user feedback. So each suggestion adds a vote to a certain feature.

Some better tag management and assignment tools would be nice -- from the grayed out options in the menus I assume it will become possible to assign tags from the Catalog Tags pane at some point?
--- End quote ---

Do you mean dragging tags to the selected images?

Given the comments about how adding new images makes the program slow to use, maybe add an option to pause the process? As far as I can tell you can only cancel it from the progress indicator
--- End quote ---

We had the Pause option sometimes ago, but then it was removed to simplify the UI. As a workaround I can suggest you to cancel the import process, and then do some actions, then import the last folder again. All the previously imported files will be missed and import will be continued from the moment when you stopped it.

<quote>If adding files to the catalog didn't slow down the program, I might have liked a feature to automatically monitor a folder and add any new images to the catalog</quote>

We'll implement it partially: currently we are working on "Rescan Folders" feature that is the same as "Watched Folder" but launched manually (from the Context menu of Folders). After that it could be added an option to make it automatic.

Imported process is not completely optimized; this is in our future plans.

<quote>If you have sync turned off, and make a change to the tags of a file, the sync button at the bottom shows 1 file needs to be synced. If you then read or write the metadata to file (which I assume should both bring the file back into sync), it still says 1 file needs to be synced</quote>

This is a minor bug - added to the bug-tracking list. Starting the sync process will fix the issue.

<quote>With sync turned off, if you select an image, choose Read Tags from File Metadata from the Sync button, and then edit the rating and label on the thumbnail, the icons do not update to show the changes even though the Properties pane does. I had to change view to get them to update again</quote>

Nice bug :) Thank you.

K.Murat:
After repeating those steps 3-4 times it usually goes wrong while scaling down to min size.
-Jibz (March 06, 2012, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've reproduced the issue - thank you! As a workaround - you need to slightly change the current thumbnail size.

Jibz:
When adding tags like People or Keywords in the Properties pane, pressing return adds the tag and lets you write another -- could you please make pressing Esc close the edit box? (as in workflow: Ctrl-D -> edit tags -> Esc)
-Jibz (March 06, 2012, 05:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why you need to close the EditBox? If you need to clear the EditBox you can press Ctrl + Z.
-K.Murat (March 06, 2012, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

What I mean is, Ctrl-D starts editing the description in the properties pane -- I would like a keyboard shortcut to stop editing when I am done and put focus back in the thumbnail window.

I just realized that Ctrl-S to save actually does this :-[.

Some better tag management and assignment tools would be nice -- from the grayed out options in the menus I assume it will become possible to assign tags from the Catalog Tags pane at some point?
--- End quote ---

Do you mean dragging tags to the selected images?
--- End quote ---

I mean assign people, places, events, keywords, etc. by clicking on them in the Catalog Tags pane. In the View menu, there is an option called "Catalog Tags: Assign Mode", which is disabled -- I assumed that is going to somehow implement this later.

We had the Pause option sometimes ago, but then it was removed to simplify the UI. As a workaround I can suggest you to cancel the import process, and then do some actions, then import the last folder again. All the previously imported files will be missed and import will be continued from the moment when you stopped it.
--- End quote ---

Ok, will do that.

If adding files to the catalog didn't slow down the program, I might have liked a feature to automatically monitor a folder and add any new images to the catalog
--- End quote ---

We'll implement it partially: currently we are working on "Rescan Folders" feature that is the same as "Watched Folder" but launched manually (from the Context menu of Folders). After that it could be added an option to make it automatic.
--- End quote ---

Sounds good :).

fenixproductions:
@K.Murat
I understand why these thumbnails are needed but what I truly doubt is:
2. You can select to backup your catalog with or without thumbnails. Because thumbnails are something that could be regenerated later, from actual files;-K.Murat (March 06, 2012, 01:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is it really always necessary? Couldn't Daminion check if this is needed on assumption of file size?

My exact case was:
I have 2881 SVG files which are mainly icons. Since there is no image organizer for vector files, I had decided to make mirrored directory with PNG versions of them. Simple batch script for rsvg-convert.exe did the work and I have few thousands thumbnails - 512 pixels wide. From my point of view it is now not worth it to have Daminion to offer thumbnails of my thumbnails. I don't know the code behind this software but for me: time saved on regenerating thumb for little bigger picture is lost on searching its entry in SQlite database + reading it from hidden dir. Please correct me on this :)

For bigger images it is OK but not for such case. It would be better to have an Option for setting minimum image size needed for thumbnails.

BTW AFAIR some JPG files may contain embedded thumbnails already (in EXIF?). Does Daminion recreate thumb from bigger image to its own dir or use embedded one? How does it look like performance wise?

zevel:
Gentlemen,

I appreciate the active participation of tool developers in this thread but not to the point of completely hijacking it.
This thread was about comparing the features, performance and capabilities of different image organizers, let's not turn it into a beta-testing thread for a single one.

You can always create another thread and link to it from this one.
Maybe the admins can even transfer some of the existing posts to the new thread.

Thank you for understanding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version