ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (37/65) > >>

zevel:
I really feel your pain. And feel guilty, since I feel I tipped you in the IDI direction at the beginning.
-Dormouse (April 01, 2010, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
To be fair, you also mentioned IMatch.
Speaking of which, how does IDImager compare with IMatch (and others) in the context of cataloging and searching very large image collections?

J-Mac:
And that is when I discovered that there is nowhere in the program that shows me the size in pixels; the size that I can easily see in any other image organizer or editor in the world, and even in Explorer. I have asked about it at the forum, I have read and searched their Help file, and I have read all Parts of Mike Buckley's ebook on IDimager 5.

Do you happen to know where/how I can see that info within IDimager?
-J-Mac (April 01, 2010, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

On the View menu, put it into 'View Details' mode. That gives  a number of columns with simple info including Image Dimensions.

-Dormouse (April 01, 2010, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now see, I am not seeing that here...   On my system that just opens a "Details" pane at the bottom right of the window and that doesn’t show much actual detail at all. And it definitely does not show the image size anywhere.

One other thing I should check: Maybe the columns are too narrow to see or some other problem like that. I have already come across a few similar weird issues in IDimager Pro so far. E.g., double-clicking a thumbnail, as in most image/photo apps, opens a window with a larger view of that image. This worked the first few times I used it but then all of a sudden I was getting what appeared to be a blank window - no image at all showing in it. After I stopped muttering all kinds of unkind words to the program (Yes, I do talk to programs when they drive me to it!) I noticed that the window was actually a "recipe" window; turns out that whenever you open a large image view like this it usually has a recipe sidebar (for lack of a better way to put it) on the right-hand side. Well for whatever reason the blank recipe window (since I have created no recipes) had taken over that whole window, squeezing the actual image window down to about 2 pixels wide. Once I grabbed the left edge of the blank recipe pane with my mouse and drug it over to the right I could see the image. Why did it do that? Who knows - I certainly had not even clicked in the window before, nor dragged any edges around. For some reason IDimager just decided to expand that recipe window over the image window. Maybe something like this is happening to hide the image size column. I'll take a closer look - but I am getting weary of having to look for things that the program decided to hide!

Thanks!

Jim

Dormouse:
Now see, I am not seeing that here.
-J-Mac (April 02, 2010, 12:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is what you should see:-

Dormouse:
Of course, that is when you do the View Details view.
Further down the View menu, there is Show the Image Details, which brings up the whole EXIF panel on the right hand side - which does include the dimension details amongst a host of other stuff if you have the Full Exif or with just a few bits of basic info if you have the Exif Summary. This only applies to the chosen image of course - but it comes up very fast.

You can also sort the image display by dimensions (amongst many other choices), if that would be helpful.

Dormouse:
E.g., double-clicking a thumbnail, as in most image/photo apps, opens a window with a larger view of that image. This worked the first few times I used it but then all of a sudden I was getting what appeared to be a blank window - no image at all showing in it. After I stopped muttering all kinds of unkind words to the program (Yes, I do talk to programs when they drive me to it!) I noticed that the window was actually a "recipe" window; turns out that whenever you open a large image view like this it usually has a recipe sidebar (for lack of a better way to put it) on the right-hand side. Well for whatever reason the blank recipe window (since I have created no recipes) had taken over that whole window, squeezing the actual image window down to about 2 pixels wide. Once I grabbed the left edge of the blank recipe pane with my mouse and drug it over to the right I could see the image. Why did it do that?
-J-Mac (April 02, 2010, 12:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure what is going on here. There's a lot of panels that open on the right side, but they have always stayed where they are put for me.

If you are having a few problems where the program isn't working normally (always difficult to know when it is a new program for you), then you would really need Hert to address it, and he does seem to be away at the moment. Even if you don't, I will keep an eye out for his return (after Easter maybe?) and then direct him to the relevant threads. I've always found himvery responsive (well, I've only made one request to him directly - asking for a feature to be added - and he had a script for it within a few days).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version