ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (5/65) > >>

nudone:
i thought i'd try the demo of Extensis Portfolio after reading the comment by ivanv. i uninstalled it after about 10 minutes. i always seem to forget that i've tried portfolio several times in the past - i always remove it and then just wonder what it's meant to do that's better than a typical image file manager.

i guess i'm just not professional enough to use it's features. what i can see looks very limited.

i'd like to hear what you thoughts are if you try the demo, Darwin.

ivanv:
I don't use Portfolio for my images (I use Picasa for that), I use it to catalog some assets, like clipart, icons, etc., which is actually what it is intended for. It is far more advanced in the cataloging arena than most "image organizers", but I decided to mention it as it fits the feature list provided by MrCrispy.

Darwin:
I haven't installed the demo for Portfolio and don't think I'll bother. I can't see myself buying a license even if I love it, so am not too motivated. I have a full version of Corel's Snapfire Plus (came as a freebie with PSP XI, which I won in an online contest) that I have yet to install. From the reviews that I read at the time that I won it, it appears not to be in the same league as ACDSEE, Picasa and the organizer that is built into Photoshop Elements (5?). I'll install it and see what I can report.

MrCrispy:
Portfolio at $199 is competing with Lightroom. It does seem to have a lot of features but after playing with the UI for 10min, I don't think it's what I'm after. I didn't see the kind of UI which would let me easily select sets of photos with different tags. There's a Find dialog in which I define queries and see results, but I want something like Photoshop Elements/Lightroom where in one panel I see a list of all the tags read from metadata.

Something like this -

Tag1
-- tag2
-- tag3
Tag4

Ratings

Folders
xyz
-- abc
-----def

In front of each of these would be a checkbox to let me select that criteria. So I can say I want to see all pictures in folder abc or its subfolders, having a rating of 3,4,5 and tagged with 'home'. I should be able to do this very quickly without having to open extra dialogs. Also to change metadata, I should be able to select pictures and drag them to the category, or drag the category over the pics.

Most of Adobe's products (Lightroom, Elements) do something like that, as well as IView Media Pro. But they are just too slow. Browsing is one area where AcdSee is actually  pretty good, but its lack of a decent organizer and proper support for xmp/iptc lets it down.

nudone:
ivanv, would you mind describing a little more about Extensis Portfolio, i.e. what are the differences between it and Picassa for example. i don't fully understand what a catalogue program does but i'd like to as it might be something i need. i thought ext portfolio would be something i'd use as it supports illustrator files (not particularly well i have to say). my 'projects' contain illustrator and all the usual pixel based files - so i'd like to be able to manage them altogether (i use adobe bridge for such things at the moment).

i appreciate what i do might just not be right for Portfolio but i hope you can reveal a bit more about the program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version