ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

virtual install

<< < (3/4) > >>

nite_monkey:
Thats what I was thinking, but if you were able to make the program able to run off a flash drive (export the registry files, and use a config file to point them to it) then you would I guess be able to export all you layers, and then put the program onto a difrent computer and then you would be able to have all of your programs with you at all times.

f0dder:
I would be careful running programs off of USB. Flash memory is not designed to handle lots of writes, its optimized for reading. And I'm guessing using your method, Altiris will be writing to flash as registry/file changes are made.
-MrCrispy (February 21, 2007, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Is it really that much of a problem with modern flash devices?

nite_monkey:
from what I have heard flash drives can only be written to so many times and then they stop working. I haven't had this happen to me yet, but I guess it would be possible.

tomos:
from what I have heard flash drives can only be written to so many times and then they stop working. I haven't had this happen to me yet, but I guess it would be possible.
-nite_monkey (February 21, 2007, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

not sure how many writes it takes (it is a good few) but from what I've read before, it's more definite than possible ..

f0dder:
I wonder if USB devices do Wear Leveling on the hardware level...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version