ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

virtual install

<< < (2/4) > >>

cthorpe:
It should work fine to take the program with you and put it on another machine as long as Altiris is running on that other machine.  Just select the layer you want (it has to be inactive), go to the File menu, and select Export to get a file that can then be imported to another machine.

Carl

nite_monkey:
So I would be able to possibly put Altris on my usb flash drive, and put my exported layer on it also, and then put my drive in another computer and use it? I may have to try that.

cthorpe:
Altiris has to be installed on the computer in question before you can import and use a layer.  As far as I know, there is no way to run Altiris off of the USB at this time, though that feature is supposedly under development.

nite_monkey:
 ;D wow, I was reading up on this program some more, and it just came to me, that if you were to reinstall windows, and install this program, and then install all of your programs in this, then that would save time in the future if you need to reinstall windows. all of your files are all ready installed, all you have to do is make sure you archive them before you reinstall windows, then just import them into this program, and then you have all of your programs back. Plus that would keep your registry clean, because you could keep all of your programs deactivated while not using them... I am just thinking about this, it is not something that I would for sure do, but is sounds pretty cool, I just would love it if I could put this program on my flash drive, and run it from that. that would make any program portable... I think.

MrCrispy:
I would be careful running programs off of USB. Flash memory is not designed to handle lots of writes, its optimized for reading. And I'm guessing using your method, Altiris will be writing to flash as registry/file changes are made.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version