ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FileHamster - auto incremental file monitor/backup as you work - and free!

<< < (8/9) > >>

tomos:
A revision creation is currently being triggered by ctrl+S of watched item.

Is it possible to have this program create a revision only when I select a button (that would be visible in the alert upon ctrl+S)?-sri (October 19, 2007, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

dont think so
but they're very open to new ideas if you contact them -
also if you dont make any comment to go with the save it's unprotected so
you can very easily in Fh context menu delete unprotected - that's what I doing,
especially because I have the habit of saving very often...

tinjaw:
Is it possible to have this program create a revision only when I select a button (that would be visible in the alert upon ctrl+S)?
-sri (October 19, 2007, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know, Sri, but my guess is no because that would kind of go against the whole philosophy of the product, which is to version your saved files.

Could you provide an example of why you wouldn't want to keep a versioned instance of the file? I mean, if you were so clairvoyant as to know which particular versions of a file you would never need, no need to use a version control system because you are, well, clairvoyant. One of the major benefits of having versioned files is that you can go back to a version that you thought you would never need. Heck, don't forget that dodo happens.

tomos:
A revision creation is currently being triggered by ctrl+S of watched item.

Is it possible to have this program create a revision only when I select a button (that would be visible in the alert upon ctrl+S)?
-sri (October 19, 2007, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been looking for this too for a while - they have implemented something in the latest update (1.7.0.3761). You need to have the pop-up bubble notifier activated:

if you close the popup bubble before it fades away, the revision will not be saved - I'm doing this with files that take a while to get saved (couple of seconds). I havent tested it with instant saves e.g. text files. You can extend the time the popup bubble will show so as to make it easier to close.

This is a big plus for me as I backup my Filehamster backups online. Also a big plus if you're working on big files.

Mogware Support:
You can also have the ftp feature in FileHamster include a "SendFtp" upload button in the bubble so you still get the revision locally but then make a contious decision when you want the file to be uploaded to the ftp.

To enable this, simple configure your ftp settings but set the 'AutoUpload' option to false and you will begin to see the additional "SendFtp" button in the bubble.

tomos:
if you close the popup bubble before it fades away, the revision will not be saved - I'm doing this with files that take a while to get saved (couple of seconds). I havent tested it with instant saves e.g. text files.-tomos (August 12, 2010, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some clarification from the Mogware forum on files that get saved quickly:

Actually, prolonging the bubble doesn't change the time period of when the bubble can be closed to cancel the revision.

When we implemented the new feature we simply popped up the bubble earlier; On the very first file change event;

As you noted earlier, the comment button was in a disabled/grayed out state for a little bit...The revision is only canceled when the bubble is closed BEFORE the file is finished being saved ( i.e. BEFORE the comment button becomes enabled )...Once the comment button becomes enabled, the revision has finished being copied so there is nothing to cancel.  We felt this design would be acceptable because the larger the file, the longer it takes to be saved subsequently increasing the window where the user can choose to cancel the creation of a particular revision; This feature was mostly being requested for the larger files so it seemed to work well...

However, in reading your post, you did give me an idea about how you can delay the revision creation process longer.  This is done via the 'Delay_CreateRevision' option where you can specify how much longer you want FileHamster to wait after the last file event before it begins the actual revision creation...Changing this setting should be what you want so you can have the bubble linger longer in the mode that will allow you to delete a particular revision.

To test this you will want to watch the revision list of the document and notice that no revisions are being created when you close the bubble before the revision has been finished.
-http://support.mogware.net/index.php?topic=1137.msg4719#msg4719
--- End quote ---

my emphasis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version