ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

best text editor was killed by Borland

(1/3) > >>

noespam:
I just have to say the best text editor is no longer around.

The best windows text editor was CodeWright. It had features that current text editors are now starting to implement and some which I have yet to see in the so-called best editors of today like a smart code template system. Codewright's expandability was second to none. Unfortunately, Borland bought the company and killed Codewright with it just as they did with DOS Brief. Borland killed the best DOS and Windows editor. The programming gods didn't like that. Look at Borland now.

wraith808:
For something dead, it sure is kicking around...

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Borland-Codewright-7-5-for-Win/dp/B00009M7Q6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7617788-7816921?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1173628486&sr=1-1

Digital river Borland shop:
http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=622600&xid=39696&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

It's very expensive though...

Darwin:
Hmm... I took the OP's comments to mean that the product has been degraded in terms of quality/stability/features in versions released since the takeover. Similar arguments have been made about PaintShop Pro and other products that have been taken over by Corel. The venture capitalists that bought Corel are on a buying spree - they've recently acquired Winzip, Intervideo (WinDVD and WinDVD Creator), Ulead (PhotoImpact), etc. But I digress.

wraith808:
As far as I can tell, it hasn't been degraded.  Left in the wind with no updates, yes... but as I state in another thread, I still use Multi-Edit 8 because it had all of the features that I wanted.  Too many times, I think, good software becomes bloat ware because too much gets added to it- companies don't know when to stop.  IMO Delphi is a good example of this- they tried to become Visual Studio, and now the new versions are bloated, and take forever to compile.

Darwin:
wraith808 - I can't argue with any of that! I hate bloatware (though I confess I use more than my share)...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version