ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gmail Invitations — for anyone who still doesn't have one

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Just curious - what is the point of Google giving hundreds of email addresses to people but not allowing people to sign up directly?

Am I missing something here?

(I don't particularly want/need a gmail account, and do we really need yet another standard emerging for IM  - surely it would be better if interoperability became the order of the day rather than increasing dirversity! I already have 4 IM clients, I really don't want any more using up valuable CPU cycles)

zridling:
I wondered that, too. They have 2 million current Gmail users, and I think it was to prevent them from being deluged by everyone on the planet wanting an account at the same time. However, like every google app I know, they always leave you wanting more or better features. For example, in Gmail, there's no button for delete! Just a dropdown box.

Half the folks I know use IMAP so that Gmail will filter spam for their desktop email client.

AbteriX:
I hear GMail is also fine for data store.
There are even frontends therefor ITW.

mouser:
thats a great point stefan - there are some special tools to let you use google mail as a backup system for your files - if someone has used one of these tools it might be nice to post about it.  for people who do not have a good offsite backup system, this could be a very useful thing to set up.

for example,
Gmail Drive: http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm (freeware!)

Carol Haynes:
Could have amazing security implications ....

If you can't delete emails all sensitive email info will be held in public storage forever - what are the chances of some loopholes being found to mine that information ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version