ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Interesting: Tag2Find, Tagging for All Filetypes for Windows

<< < (6/9) > >>

SirSmiley:
The only way around that in script would be to retrieve the original timestamp(s) into a variable(array) then after updating comments reset the timestamp. What a pain.

PhilB66:
Check out ChangeExt.

MrCrispy:
Ahh, if only WinFS had not been scrapped...... we would have had so much more.

J-Mac:
Just curious - any progress on finding a good tagging solution for home PC files?  Sounds like Tag2Find is still not quite ready for general usage.

Tagging would seem to be a great contributor to file and folder structure.  But only if it is consistent and doesn't change too much of the existing file structure.  BTW, I still cannot find any such feature in DOpus.  I had hoped that DOpus would have something to make tracking/grouping files easier, but it seems that I just have Windows Explorer with some added bells on it. Not quite as big a deal as I had first thought.  Of course I may not be using it to its fullest extent, but so far I have not gotten any good answers for doing a lot of the things I had thought DOpus would help with. Some of its advanced features appear to require scripting knowledge beyond what I am comfortable/familiar with!

Armando - any luck so far finding a good, solid tagging application for Windows?

Thanks!

Jim

Armando:
Just curious - any progress on finding a good tagging solution for home PC files?  Sounds like Tag2Find is still not quite ready for general usage.-J-Mac (November 01, 2007, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

well... It depends what you're expecting. I personally found that it worked quite well. The main reason why I didn't use it is because it didn't integrate with my other desktop search applications (X1, Archivarius, Locate32, farr)

But only if it is consistent and doesn't change too much of the existing file structure.
-J-Mac (November 01, 2007, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

What do you mean?

BTW, I still cannot find any such feature in DOpus.  I had hoped that DOpus would have something to make tracking/grouping files easier, but it seems that I just have Windows Explorer with some added bells on it. Not quite as big a deal as I had first thought.-J-Mac (November 01, 2007, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

DO aficionados would probably want to torture you for saying that.  ;D
IMO DO is much much more than explorer with some added bells... Maybe it just doesn't have what you're looking for.

Of course I may not be using it to its fullest extent, but so far I have not gotten any good answers for doing a lot of the things I had thought DOpus would help with.
--- End quote ---

You could always use what they call "file collections"  (basically virtual folders). Although when I trialed DO, I didn't find them reliable for my own everyday usage : my filenames change all the time, and the file collections didn't seem to deal well with frequent name changes. There are other solutions in Total Commander and Speed Commander. Didn't test them though.

Armando - any luck so far finding a good, solid tagging application for Windows?
--- End quote ---

Nope. I think tag2find is what comes closest to what I'm looking for. But I'm waiting for the 2nd generation and a number of modification before committing any data to it. In the mean time, I'm using my own system and I've become used to it... I almost like it now How do you tag (or even organize) your files?. But takes some discipline.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version