ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Interesting: Tag2Find, Tagging for All Filetypes for Windows

<< < (2/9) > >>

TucknDar:
I just installed tag2find, and although I've only been using it for an hour or so, I like what I'm seeing. Can't give a proper review just yet, but it definitely looks a keeper! :up:

mitzevo:
tag2find looks good but I was at work when I tried it and my work computer's filesystems are FAT, and tag2find doesn't support that. So I tried tagg, and it seems to work fine with FAT filesystems  ;D

Guess I'll try tag2find on my box at home.

justice:
I recently read about FastCopy in the other thread about TeraCopy. FC has an option to enable copying alternate  streams (NTFS). Researching what this means, NTFS can store additional data which can be extracted only by a few windows commands (it's not backwards compatible). commandline Copy and echo support this, so do third party tools. However Explorer's copy does not (meaning if you copy or move the file, the data is lost -- maybe vista does this better?).

This might be the possible reason why these kind of programs work like they do, if they indeed use these alternate data streams. :)

tslim:
"However Explorer's copy does not (meaning if you copy or move the file, the data is lost -- maybe vista does this better?)."

NOT true.
(Note: WinXP 's Explorer does copy and move ADS, on drive with NTFS format of course)

However, Total command (even the latest ver7.01 as of this writing) fits the above description. Ironically, its plugin can do a powerful search in ADS... sigh!

In term of handling ADS, I find xPlorer2 is the best explorer alternative.
Ironically, it is unable to search in ADS... sigh!

DOpus does not even has any column for standard ADS (tags like title, subject, author and so on). Ironically, it is aware of tags in MP3 files ... sigh!

As of today, I find no Explorer alternative utilty handles ADS perfectly and seriously... None! :( That makes me feel lonely as though I am the only one in the world who use ADS to tag my files...

Btw, regarding FASTCOPY, I remember, not long ago when I try it, it does NOT copy ADS... and I can't find the option (you have mentioned) from the options list at the FASTCOPY site... ???

justice:
Download the beta (http://www.ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy_beta.html)

There's two new options for ACL and streams.
The new help file says:
ACL Copy Access Control List(ACL) on NTFS
Stream Copy Alternate Stream on NTFS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version