ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Brillant Text Editor (search functions)

<< < (2/6) > >>

riposa:
Someone posted this elsewhere. It is an editor that claims to do something along these lines. I downloaded it, but yet to try it.

Bruce

--------------------------------

A text editor that supports soundex (an English-oriented phonetic matching algorithm) searches. 

Power Edit ($30): http://www.galcott.com/pe.htm

f0dder:
RegEx *could* do what is asked for, but it would be extremely tedious construct.

SoundEx searching, customized for different languages, does indeed sound like what you want. Would probably be nice if it showed a list with all hits (including some context), and let you goto that line, instead of the regular "find next" tediousness.

Iirc GNU aspell has internationalized/table-based soundex?

mouser:
this would be a great assignment for the brand new LEVEL 2 TASKS in the Programming School..

riposa:
With Textpad, using (find in files) does indeed built a list of all the instances of a (specific word) searched for in not only one file, but any number of files, including subdirectories if you wish, allowing for Sky's the limit, which is great. Also the results list what files and what lines the instance occurs. Extremely effective and efficient, but the problem of course with Textpad, is it cannot bring back close matches. There is no option for that. I am only mildly familiar with boonlee, regex, and such, for instance, Webseeker by Blue Squirrel goes out on the search engines and bring back results of close matches for its search queries. This is exactly what needs to be an option in Textpad, but perhaps soundex or something along those lines might work. Otherwise, I was also aware of GREP in perl, which can be used to built a perl utility to do just such a task, and perhaps such a utility exists already, I don't know without searching the web au nausium in hundreds of utility libraries to find just such a jewel.

Bruce

Ruffnekk:
I don't know of any editor capable of it, but this is now on my to-do list for my upcoming application. I can't reveal a lot about it yet (I don't want to :P), but it will take a couple of months before it's finished I'm afraid. But it's someting I know how to implement (or have ideas about) and I will definitely have a go at it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version