ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Free PDF tools review?

<< < (5/14) > >>

wnitzan:
I use 4 PDF related programs, in concert:

1. GhostScript engine (free)
www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost

I have both the GPL and AFPL versions (you'll see why in a second). They usually get updated soon one after the other, but sometimes not.

2. CutePDF Writer (free)
www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

This is a printer driver (like many others) to print from any program into a PDF doc. It needs a PS2PDF converter, such as GhostScript.

3. PDFill (free and paid)
www.pdfill.com

PDFill has two parts, one free and one that costs $20, both rely on the free AFPL GhostScript engine (and it must be the AFPL version, not the GPL). PDFill detects whether an AFPL version is already installed, or else offers to download and install it for you, albeit an older version than what you can download and install yourself. So, I would install the newer version of AFPL GhostScript first, and PDFill afterward.

The free part is a GUI with 12 tools that merge, split, reorder pages, add watermarks, encrypt, convert to and from image files, and add header/footer info.

The paid part is a PDF editor ($20) that can be used to fill out and *save* PDF forms (what other readers won't let you do), add text and graphics annotations, and create your own PDF forms. It also allows you to add editable fields on top of a not editable PDF doc, so that you can fill in fields on a non-interactive form (instead of printing, filling it by hand, scanning and then sending it out).

4. PDF Image Extraction Wizard (free)
www.rlvision.com/pdfwiz/about.asp

This tool can extract all the images in a PDF doc.

Hope this helps...

lanux128:
I believe doPDF does what Fineprint does, and it's freeware to boot.-Nighted (March 04, 2007, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
i've tried out doPDF but it has some problems which i have mentioned here, so i would like to know if anyone else has these problems..

btw, for those who convert images/text files into PDF, IrfanView has also got into the act, via a plugin..
• IMPDF - (version 0.23): allows IrfanView to save PDF files (Portable Document Format)

PhilB66:
Another useful and free pdf tool - PDFTK Builder (scroll down the page for the latest version).

mouser:
See also: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=10014

PhilB66:
See also: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=10014
-mouser (September 16, 2007, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is it possible to merge / consolidate these two threads?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version