ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Seeking a truly functional software KVM ...

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
If it can't be handled by a local KVM switch or remote desktop/shell I've learned it's easier and faster to just take a little walk over to the 'whatever' and plug in a keyboard.-40hz (November 26, 2010, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that!

:)

Renegade:
I think you should look into IPMI.

That will do exactly what you're looking for. I do not believe that it is pure software though. However, at some point you need to make some compromises. A pure software implementation is kind of nonsense because how would you possibly run the software if you are looking to get at the machine prior to any software being loaded? At some point you must have hardware involved, even if the software is running directly off of the hardware.

IPMI works very well. You have hardware access remotely. You can then install an operating system or whatever.

Also, have a look at the Intel IMPI site here:

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/index.htm

I don't know a lot about it. I really only use IPMI. But I hope that helps out anyways.

barney:
Renegade,

'Twould seem, sir, that you have provided a possible answer for a young lady that I would dearly love to help – if I can ever figure out how to use it.  Did a quick scan of the link you provided and suspect that I am going to need to do a lot more reading.  I may hate you in the morning  ;D.  I dislike having to work for my answers, but thanks anyway, this does hold promise  :Thmbsup:.

Renegade:
Ask your hosting company if they have IPMI. I use it with Softlayer, and I know others use it as well. They will likely have specific software for you to use to connect to the server.

If you're doing this on your own, I'd say go look at the hardware specs for what you have and see if it supports IPMI.

Now, that's where I don't really know much... and my ignorance will show at this point...

I would guess that it's in the main board, so start there. See if anyone else might know more. A few searches should help sort things better for you.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version