ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Pocket PCs etc. Which do you personally recommend, having used it yourself?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ruffnekk:
Thanks for the reply!  That all looks good but for the battery life (I'd forget to recharge it).  So, you take a charger along with you if on a trip?  How long to bring it back from the dead?  Is the data still there when you revive it?-cranioscopical (February 12, 2007, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

It has a charger that I can plug in my 12V connector in my car and when I'm at home or at work I plug it in to the USB port and it gets charged that way. So basically it's charging all day long.

If for some reason the device is turned off because the battery is exhausted then it still has a volatile memory so I won't have any data loss.

tsaint:
To answer your battery life question Chris, I'd guess a week if you were doing simple lookups. If you like I could do a trial for you.
I used to charge the th55 from my laptop.
One other thing I neglected to mention was the th55 accepts sony memory sticks, so you can store one or 2 meg of data (non volatile)
Being tied to sony memory of course has a downside too.

cranioscopical:
Thanks again, guys!

I *have* to have the thing in my shirt pocket all the time. 

RuffNek, your sensible habit of constantly charging in different places isn't the best soultion for me. Typically I don't use a laptop, certainly not in meetings where I'm likely to need some info in a hurry, so I haven't an available USB port.  In the car's okay, but when I need info I might be in my workshop, in the garden shed, in a meeting, on a plane, at the shops... so the shirt-pocket solution is best for me.  If I leave the thing charging on my main machine, Il guarantee that I'll need some information when I'm at the other end of the house and three floors down  :)

Tony, don't trouble yourself with a test (but thank you for the offer) your guesstimate is more than enough to give me an idea.  Once a week ought to be manageable, even for me.

Armed with the ideas I've picked up here already I'm going to shop around the next time I'm in an urban centre and see what's readily available locally.  I've retired to a rural area where the local idea of slick communication is to use  a sharp pencil, not a blunt one.

Can I ask you both, if your unit's battery runs down, how long would it take to recharge it to the point where it can once again access it's non-volatile memory?

Ruffnekk:
Armed with the ideas I've picked up here already I'm going to shop around the next time I'm in an urban centre and see what's readily available locally.  I've retired to a rural area where the local idea of slick communication is to use  a sharp pencil, not a blunt one.
-cranioscopical (February 12, 2007, 09:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
*lol*

Can I ask you both, if your unit's battery runs down, how long would it take to recharge it to the point where it can once again access it's non-volatile memory?
-cranioscopical (February 12, 2007, 09:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
About a minute or 10 after I start charging it can be booted and used when it ran totally down, but again that's hardly ever the case with me. I don't travel so much for work so I don't really have to worry a lot about it.

cranioscopical:
About a minute or 10 after I start charging it can be booted and used when it ran totally down, but again that's hardly ever the case with me. I don't travel so much for work so I don't really have to worry a lot about it.
--- End quote ---
Thanks, RuffNek, that's very helpful to know.
I wonder if it can be recharged/run from one of the portable charge/run units that does use batteries?  It'd be easy to keep one of those in a briefcase, for emergencies.
Thanks again for you help, it's much appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version