ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Will Wikipedia Run Out of Money and Disappear

<< < (2/3) > >>

Darwin:
Right. Monies donated and we'll wait to see if it made a difference  ;) Well, it made me feel better anyway. I feel kind of funny because I get a fair number of undergraduate papers that have plagiarised wikipedia articles extensively... So, I've helped fund one of my nemeses! Oh well, at least if they are ripping off wikipedia the plagiarism is easy to catch :D

brotherS:
this is what makes me hate capitalism..
we could fund wikipedia into the next century if we cut in half a few sports stars salaries or advertisement contracts.
or cut in half the salaries of a few oil company executives.
god forbid the government fund something like this instead of building some fancy new jet fighters.
-mouser (February 11, 2007, 03:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, capitalism isn't perfect, but I don't see a better alternative.
You don't kill your cat because she pukes on your carpet every now and then, right? ;)

I bet wikipedia won't disappear, should they really run into *serious* problems some cool billionaire or corporation will help.

Martin_130286:
I'd be an awesome shame to see Wikipedia go... it's often my most used resource in learning some obscure idea or technology and has helped me so much over the last few years.

I can't help notice that Wiki has no obvious third-party advertising, perhaps if they are desperate to raise funds... offering advertising on such a visited website would bring in some more money to support them... it's not ideal, but better than leaving the internet all together.

mouser:
well i should say, i don't believe for 1 second that wikipedia is going anywhere.  I think it's mostly (as that article says) crying wolf.  there is not a chance in hell it would go away - as the author points out it's worth huge sums of money and there are tons of alternative ways to fund it.  It would be trivial for them to raise enough money to pay for their servers.  I suspect soon they will be rolling in more money than they know what they can do with.  But that doesn't alter my frustration at the fact they they have to go raising money each year which will force them to do things they'd rather not do and spend time on raising money which they shouldnt have to, in order to ensure they get their funding each year.

tinjaw:
The need to find an endowment so they can live off the interest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version