ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Poll : What is the most useless key on the keyboard

<< < (7/7)

Curt:
For me, the most useless (and also the most anoying) key in my keyboard is definitelly the 'insert' key. I always wondered why people invented that thing. I even removed it from my external keyboard, because i kept inadvertely pressing it, and overwriting stuff!
-jgpaiva (February 10, 2007, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Insert ToggleKey by Mike Lin:
Insert ToggleKey itk_setup.exe (77kb self-extracting setup) 

Ever accidentally turn on overtype, and as a result typed over half a sentence?
ITK sounds a tone whenever you press Insert.

--- End quote ---
http://www.mlin.net/other.shtml

Ruffnekk:
I am constantly using 'Insert' because the default behavior for the windows command-line is 'overwrite' mode  >:( >:( >:(

-Edvard (February 13, 2007, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can change the default setting! Click the icon of a command-line window, choose properties and the tab Options where you can check 'Insert mode' or someting similar (I use Dutch Windows). See screenshot.

Poolee:
I've voted for the Numlock key.  In all honesty, I've never used the Home, End, PgUp etc on the keypad.  The most frustrating thing I've found is the VMware turns off the NumLock key...

Anyone got an app that ensures this baby is always on and can't be turned off? :tellme:

Edvard:
Quote from: Edvard on February 13, 2007, 10:56:52 AM
I am constantly using 'Insert' because the default behavior for the windows command-line is 'overwrite' mode  Angry Angry Angry
--- End quote ---

You can change the default setting!
--- End quote ---
Thank you Ruffnekk, Thank you very much. :Thmbsup:

The most frustrating thing I've found is the VMware turns off the NumLock key...
Anyone got an app that ensures this baby is always on and can't be turned off?
--- End quote ---
Poolee: As far as I know, the numlock key is set by the bios, but that's not the whole story...
1-Does VMWare have a virtual bios that you can tweak? The setting is called "BootUp NumLock Status" and can be set on or off.
See here:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/advNumlock-c.html

2-Are you booting Linux in your VMWare? It's not might not be what you think. See here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/733286
According to the lore(1) the reason that the kernel unconditionally
turns off the num lock was so that Linus' laptop came up ready to type.
--- End quote ---

I've wondered about that for quite a long time... So weird you have to either patch your kernel or use an external program (setleds, numlockx...) to do something that's drop-dead obvious.
7.20. How To Get NUM LOCK to Default to On.

Use the setleds program, for example (in /etc/rc.local or one of the
/etc/rc.d/* files):

for t in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
do
 setleds +num < /dev/tty$t > /dev/null
done

setleds is part of the kbd package ("How do I remap my keyboard to UK,
French, etc.? "). Alternatively, patch your kernel. You need to
arrange for KBD_DEFLEDS to be defined to (1 << VC_NUMLOCK) when
compiling drivers/char/keyboard.c.
--- End quote ---

Navigation