ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Is That Program Called? I Forget!!!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ruffnekk:
Are you sure it's a utility?

I think I know what you mean and you can achieve it by taking the following steps (Windows XP):

First you need to create hidden system file:

1. Right-click on the folder and choose 'Properties'
2. Click change icon and choose some icon.
3. Click change icon and choose the old icon again.

Now there's a file called 'desktop.ini' in the folder, but you cannot see it! Optionally, you can create the file by making a new text document and naming it desktop.ini. The file will disappear after you make though.

4. Browse to the folder and add in the address bar: '\desktop.ini' and press the enter key. (For example, if you're in c:\temp, you have to make it c:\temp\desktop.ini)
5. If you did it right, Notepad will open and show the file.
6. Add the following line at the end of the file:

InfoTip=your informational text goes here

7. Save the file and exit.

If you now hover your mouse over the folder, the first line of the tooltip will be what you specified in the ini file. If the tooltip doesn't show, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab and make sure "Show Pop-Up Description For Folder And Desktop Items" is checked.

jgpaiva:
That's a great tip, Ruffnekk!!
I had no idea that desktop.ini could do that :D

Nighted:
The text file used must have a specific title much like cover art must have a specific title for the proper image file to be used if there are more than one in a directory. I've seen the program a few time, as it's by an author of some other program I use, just never bothered to download it or check it out. If I could just remember what the program was that I originally went to that site for....

Darwin:
You're not alone, nudone. I am sure I remember using a utility that did this back when I was using Win98SE. I wonder if it was a pcmag utility (he muses, and dashes off to check...)?

Darwin:
Er, no. I was barking up the wrong tree. I did come across this pcmag app, File Tip, but it doesn't appear to display txt file contents when the mouse cursor is over the folder containing it, only when the cursor is over the file itself...

Somewhere I have about the ten years worth of utility downloads and if I can dig out the dvds that they are saved on I'll take a look...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version