ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CD Ripping

<< < (7/7)

Lashiec:
Ah, OK, your CDs are protected, not scratched. Against that, maybe you can do something fancy using Alcohol or Daemon Tools, as your Plextor drive can't do anything (Plextor is the best when it comes to skip protection software). I've never run into any issues with the few copy-protected CDs I have, but my drive is a generic one, so maybe there lies its power ;D

iphigenie:
The one thing i found to work to rip protected CDs is anyDVD from slysoft.

I own it to watch stupidly protected DVDs on my laptop, but when my dad complained about not being able to get his Celine Dion CDs on to his mp3 player i suggested we try installing anyDVD, and indeed it allowed the normal CD ripper tool suddenly worked perfectly.

f0dder:
I'm not interested in ripping copy protected games or applications, only in gaining fair use of my legally purchased CDs - dunno if AnyDVD, CloneDVD/CD, Alcohol or whatever can help there; they seem focused on data. I want (as close to as possible) bit-perfect copies of my audio.

Plextools is supposed to be good, but even for non-protected CDs it gives me different results on every rip, and we're not just talking a few bits here and there. Pretty weird.

It should be noted that I don't have the usual problems with only one track showing up, only audio tracks showing up, or whatever - plextool's "enable single session" works pretty well for that, and so does EAC's alternate TOC detection. The problem is the actual ripping, which is damn slow, and doesn't seem to generate very good rips (well, exact rips - I don't seem to get pops and clicks, though).

Of course for non-protected CDs, everything flies. I wish I could get dbPoweramp to generate cue/wav though, it's pretty darn fast, and seems to have very intelligent error detection/handling, unlike EACs pretty bruteforce method. Would be worth registering if it did :)

Carol Haynes:
How about ISO Buster ? There is a free version and it copies on a bit by bit basis if you want (and will even try to repair by multiple reading to try and recover damaged areas). The pro version adds some functions for $29.99 See www.isobuster.com

iphigenie:
Anydvd is not a copy tool, it's just a software which allows whatever software you have to access copy protected CDs and DVDs which might not let you use them on a PC. So your software CD player, or a ripping tool, can get access to those CDs which would be unreadable to them.

I am not sure if it has any quality impact since I don't need perfection beyond what i can perceive and there is certainly no perceptible difference for me with the original CDs played on the stereo (pc output run to my stereo amp). But I am sure that pure signal comparison would probably find differences but I just listen to it. Note that although i am not an audio fanatic, i could hear the difference with mp3s generated by some other tools i had, but these I do now are fine.

And since I have all the CDs in boxes in the basement i can always rescan if needed if my hearing starts noticing a difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version