ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CD Ripping

<< < (5/7) > >>

f0dder:
Well, a guy that used to do plextor firmware recommended plextools as well, but my experience still stands - it wasn't able to accurately rip, at least not in burst mode. I rather prefer secure ripping over speed anyway, so EAC it is.

As to why audio data is hard to extract, iirc it is because audio CDs don't have some synchronization data (not error correction data) that data CDs have. I guess the reasoning was "music just needs to be played back at 1x speed, and we'd rather have more available space and do without the sync data". A CD usually has 74min capacity, which would be 74*60*44100*2*2 bytes, or ~746MB - when used for data, the capacity is only ~650MB.

There is some error-correction done in cd players, which is why a scratched CD I have plays perfectly in my NAD player, but can't be ripped 100% on my computer.

Ruffnekk:
Thanks for the helpful insight f0dder!  :up:

MerleOne:
It seems no one has mentioned iTunes !!! It includes a CD-Ripper, you can either chose AAC format (ipod only) or mp3 (ipod and all other players - but less compact than AAC for the same quality).

Besides, you usually need iTunes to transfer tracks to your ipod.

Lashiec:
Well, most jukeboxes are fine for the casual ripping, and if your CDs are in perfect state, clean and pristine :). The error correction of iTunes, Windows Media Player, Real Player, and so on, it's terrible when they deal with scratched CDs. For quality, EAC is the best. It may be slower, but you can also activate the 'burst' mode and it'll be fast like no other, at the expense of possible problems in the ripped tracks. CDex was fine some years ago, but its compatibility is not the best, and it can't handle scratched CDs with some drives very well (like mine). AudioGrabber is good, but the interface is terrible, the programmer must had a lot of fun drawing it in the IDE ;D. dbPowerAmp R12 is the best of the best (only the reference version), but its interface is not standard, and weird things happen when you click on some of the elements of the GUI, like when you try to input your own tags.

And well, f0dder solved the riddle ;)

f0dder:
I've read a bit about dbPowerAmp, and it sounds pretty interesting - I don't think I'd use the standard version, but the one called "reference" with it's special error detection seems pretty interesting. I'll have to do some tests (especially with copy-protected CDs, which is the reason I even checked it out at all) and will get back later... it seems like dbPowerAmp ref is able to read my Iron Maiden: Dance of Death CD, which EAC estimated would take ~6 hours to rip, and probably didn't even handle error-free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version