ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CD Ripping

<< < (4/7) > >>

mouser:
I'd like to associate myself with Carol's question - to me this seems very weird concept and i'd like to know the answer too.

Ruffnekk:
Seems like its more of a hardware related problem than software. The software tries to copy bit-by-bit perfect, but the hardware you use might be limited. This cdfreaks thread recommends using Plextor hardware and software for the least amount of CRC errors and best cd ripping.

mouser:
Yeah but i guess the question still is:
Why does normal digital reading of FILES presumably almost NEVER lose a byte to corruption, while working with audio cd does.  In other words, a cd filled with 700mb of mp3 files you dont EVER expect to read a corrupt bit from an mp3 file.  But a cd filled with 700mb of audio cd data, you expect to get lots of corruption.  If they are both digital, why is that?

Ruffnekk:
It's mainly because audio CDs implement Philips Orange Book (not sure about the color though), which has no native error correction, unlike DVDs which do have that. You could check it by creating an audio DVD and check the copy result from that.

Lashiec:
The question that mouser asks would take a bit to explain. There are very capable people in the Hydrogenaudio and CDFreaks forum who could explain the issue down to the most technical detail, but you would end just like at the beginning, since you'll be overwhelmed with information. I'm sure that's related to the standards, and that the Orange Book has something to do with it. Search around and I think you'll find some answers. I would explain the thing myself, but I'm STILL busy...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version