ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Geek squad / Best buy Busted!

<< < (4/5) > >>

nudone:
well, it looks like we can all chip in and evolve the thread how we like as no one seems to be too eager to say anything about the geeksqaud video. how strange.

Gothi[c], i think your right about the conversational tone of DC threads. i think the regulars around here know what to expect. i was just making a point of it all as i guess there must be plenty of visitors that do expect to see a thread relate to the title that was originally created.

i assume it's no problem, anyhow. no one else has complained but i do feel a little guilty about letting my ego take control of my comments some times (just like now).

laughinglizard:
well, it looks like we can all chip in and evolve the thread how we like as no one seems to be too eager to say anything about the geeksqaud video. how strange.

--- End quote ---

My thought after seeing their commercials on television was that if they were spending that sort of money advertising, there wasn't likely to be any in the budget for hiring on the high end of the skill level.  ;)

Having your time and skill valued even if you don't charge for is ticklish.

The best solution I've heard is to submit an invoice (broken down to time and services if necessary) with the total you would charge at your usual rate - whatever that may be.
Then, write No Charge or Donated or something similar across the invoice.
You could add a discount for certain people or circumstances to an invoice too.

I don't think this would work with family or friends - not with mine anyway. They expect me to not only keep them running and updated, but to build them and replace hardware when needed.

You might consider trading with some people. I've been known to trade work for something material or trade for something in kind.
That's another place an invoice comes in handy, you have a way to estimate for trade.

nudone:
breaking things down on an invoice is a good idea, laughinglizard. i've done a print out of the 'work done' for that last few people so that they can see exactly what i did, i also make recommendations for what they might like to do next regarding their machine.

i'm not sure if doing this is appreciated but at least it looks more 'professional'. i do like your idea of stating the cost in the invoice and then showing the 'special' rate/reduction also.

wreckedcarzz:
I just had to reply to this cause I have done computer tune-ups and stuff for friends (friends from neighborhood/school to friends I only know online) but (depending on location) I will go and repair their computer either on-site or on-line for free just because I love doing it. Even people I just met I will help. (I am kinda a little too nice at times...I sold a $700 Compaq computer (tower, monitor, speakers, keyboard & mouse), a $300 Brother printer , $300 of Brother printer ink and the guarantee that if something goes wrong with anything I will come over and fix it the best that I can for free- sold them all to a friend from school for $100!!!)
-Wreckedcarzz

nudone:
it's always good to be charitable. i'm still charitable now, but playing the hero eventually doesn't really do you any favours. if you have the luxury of being able to help out and expect nothing in return then i think that is a very commendable way of doing things. personally, i think there comes a point when you start to question if your generosity is being taken for granted - not by all 'clients' of course.

it sounds like a common thing for computer fixers to go through the stage of wishing to help out at their own cost. how long this lasts will probably depend on what other commitments they have and how many times they see someone that can easily pay for a service get away with paying nothing at all - simply because you let them.

i'm wondering if there is something kind of unique about the world of computers. people take software for granted a lot of the time and expect to pay nothing. people will often expect a friend or neighbour to fix a pc for free. there appears to be a common lack of appreciation involved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version