ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (29/77) > >>

jpfx:
(mouser), I was looking at that homedesignersoftware suite because I'm thinking about remodeling the kitchen (small). but I read somewhere that counter tops couldn't be 'designed' with the suite version. not that it needs to emulate a granite counter top but a kitchen model with that bit missing isn't much good.
kitchen is squarish but 3 doors take up a lot of wall estate. I would like to 'open up' one wall (a bit more dramatically than you did) and get an idea of what it might look like. (worried about reinforcing what studs remain on that wall to' take the weight).
sketchup looks far too 'bitsy' (model every bit) and HDS suite maybe can't handle it.
any other software suggestions?
thanks

mouser:
As for visualizing a room or multiple rooms, i would *highly* recommend HomeDesigner; i didn't see anything about counter tops not being in suite version -- that would surprise me.  i suggest you look into that.

Using SketchUp was painful, but was the best tool i could find for sketching a single item with unique details (like a bed).

mouser:
I ended up buying a bed on craigslist that was much nicer than i could have built for a fraction of the cost.  That's the rule I realize now when it comes to furniture, you have to be insane to try to make it yourself and think you're going to get something half as good for 10x the price of buying a nice used piece.

So having absorbed that lesson, a few weeks ago i set out to build an 8ft media center cabinet for my living room, in an attempt to learn how to properly stain and finish a big item  (it's 8ft long, 33 inches tall, 16 inches deep) and how to make drawers.  Please do not ask me why i didn't start on something smaller.

Half way done photo:

Still to do:

* Add face frame.
* Add fancy inset/flush drawers (in center area).
* Add base trim.
* Stain.
* Finish and rub out (Lacquer, shellac, or polyeurethane). <-- this is the part i'm most nervous about and have been reading so much about and testing on scrap.. It's hard to do properly when you dont have a place to use a sprayer..
I already regret taking on the project, but nothing left to do now but push forward bitching and moaning the whole way..  I'll post more photos when it's done.

KynloStephen66515:
nothing left to do now but push forward bitching and moaning the whole way..
-mouser (June 12, 2015, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

*sighs* If I had a pound/dollar for every time my mrs said this to me... ;D

superboyac:
lol...i like how you regret it in the beginning of the project, but you're going to do it anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version