ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (28/77) > >>

ewemoa:
If you want to maximize the use of software, perhaps consideration towards 3D-printing various portions will get you closer to that ideal ;)

bob99:
Ok i've got my basic structural plan worked out: (see attachment in previous post) (see attachment in previous post)
I used SketchUp, which can be pretty darn painful to use.. I wish there was something better.  The dimensions are only rough estimates since they are difficult to tweak, but the basic idea comes through.

Main issue I was trying to solve with my plan was to provide rock solid stability and support for a large king size bed (76" x 80") and have the sides look reasonably nice (in my bedroom you can really only see one side of the bed).

Notes: Headboard and footboard will not look like exactly like that, I plan to use reclaimed wood for the inset part; slats will cover entire surface; dimensions are off a little because i couldn't get them perfect.

Inspiration came from the farmhouse bed plans on the Anna White site.

My main concern with the plan is the use of the 4x4s..  I am concerned that they are going to turn out ugly when stained and finished.
-mouser (September 26, 2014, 12:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Consider using glued up 1x boards.

bob99:
^

Or glued up 2x4's like this. It's not sanded and finished yet.

Here's a picture I found of a bed using recycled wood.

Found this site in the UK with some pictures of beds using reclaimed wood.
http://www.eatsleeplive.co.uk/products/bedroom-furniture/beds/
Click on each of the bed types and you can see more close-up details. These have more of a distressed look.

May give you some more ideas.

mouser:
Yes, I'm looking at altering the plans to use glued up 1x lumber.  It takes away a little from the chunky feel of 4x4 but it would also let me use nice hardwood 1x3 and 1x4 lumber..

superboyac:
good choice, sketchup is the best for this sort of thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version