topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pixarra Pixel Studio and Icon Editing  (Read 2270 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Pixarra Pixel Studio and Icon Editing
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Hi, all,  I just found that you can get Pixarra Pixel Studio for free (just today) from SharewareOnSale.
https://sharewareons...-studio-100-discount

Now, SWOS regularly releases Pixarra applications for freebie, but I wanted to draw attention to Pixel because it looks like a really good program for creating icons for your DC applications. 

I usually collect all of these Pixarra programs and install them, and then never use them (hee hee).  But just trying them out, they have some very interesting approaches to digital artwork.  This Pixel program looks like it would actually make the creation of program icons - well, fun!

Normally for my own programs, I start with an icon from some long-forgotten collection and alter it to my needs using an old SIB Icon editor.

The only thing about using Pixel to create program icons is that it isn't an "icon editor" per se - it's a pixel art editor.  It excels at the art part, but not at the icon part.  But I also know how tedious it is in SIB Icon editor to go and make your 256x256p icon look nice if you had originally started out with a 32x32p image - you almost have to redraw the entire thing.  That's where Pixel Studio would come in.  But you'd still have to resort to your icon editor (unless there is a feature I cannot find) to save the different icon sizes into the icon.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pixarra Pixel Studio and Icon Editing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Regarding icon creation, I've used Greenfish Icon Editor Pro (FOSS) for many many years.

http://greenfishsoftware.org/gfie.php

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 04:09 PM »
Regarding icon creation, I've used Greenfish Icon Editor Pro (FOSS) for many many years.

http://greenfishsoftware.org/gfie.php
whoa!!  nice rec!!  never knew of this....

I used axialis since maybe like 2005!!!  Never knew about this!!!!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 04:47 PM »
Here's a couple of screenshots:

2020-10-03_164633.pngPixarra Pixel Studio and Icon Editing
2020-10-03_164801.pngPixarra Pixel Studio and Icon Editing