ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

c++ resources for the VB programmer

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
back to your questions thought:

You can set breakpoints and debug in dev-c++, though its not the best debugging environment.  You could also get Microsoft's free c++ edition.

You've now encountered 2 of the many c++ pitfalls, and survived them, so you are on the right track.
You can initialize variables in c++ when you declare them:

--- ---int x=0;
Actually understanding why int variables are not initialized will tell you a bit about the mindset of c++ coders and compiler designers.  C and C++ are designed for speed - so unless you specifically tell the program to set the variable, it's not going to waste precious cpu cycles doing it for you.

tinjaw:
Python Rocks! [attach=#1][/attach]

I'm going to jump in and ask you why you are learning C++? Each language has its own advantages and disadvantages. And depending on what you are coding, some languages may be better suited to the task than others. So, why C++?

Gothi[c]:
Maybe because C++ compiles to real binary code instead of running on an interpreter or a vm like python, java, perl, .net, etc,.. etc,... :P

Booma-Booma:
I have looked at c# - It is OK, but I would rather invest my time in learning a language that I can compile to native code and potentially target different operating systems other than windows (I am a big fan of NetBSD). With that said, I can't justify switching from vb.net to a language like c# because it is more popular. From everything that I have read and tried, I can do pretty much everything in vb.net that I could do in c#. So switching doesn't make sense to me.

I have a couple of specific goals in learning c++:
1) I'd like to be able to create dll libraries that I can use from VB6 and .net (etc.) for the times that the engineering calculations are not fast enough in VB6. I have written up some pretty complex Finite Element Analysis models using VB. It worked well but some times it could take a few hours to run through the calculations. I would like to be able to (or at least have the potential) reduce the time it takes.

2)I'd like to be able to access the vast numerical libraries available to c++. 

3)I'd like to create programs that don't need to be registered or require a virtual machine to run.

4)I want to learn something that is worth while learning and will be around for many, many more years.

Eóin:
Well 2) and 3) would really clinch it for me too, C++ sounds like the way to go. Good luck, it's a fun language :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version