ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

console: a great CMD.exe replacement application

<< < (3/4) > >>

tinjaw:
I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Powershell, but it might be something to look at for some people. Also see Wikipedia here.

If you want massive amounts of power, that can do it for you.
-Renegade (March 22, 2008, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

PowerShell (once known as Monad) is not in the same category as a console window enhancement/replacement. It is a complete replacement for any of Microsoft's DOS or Windows command line interpreters. It is a full fledged object oriented system administration scripting language.

I have been telling every junior Windows system administrator I like that they should be learning PowerShell as fast as they can if they want to move up to a senior Windows sysadmin position. With PowerShell knowledge you would run circles around any sysadmin that works predominantly from through the GUI, as well as be able to get Windows to do things that you just can't do through a GUI alone.

Eóin:
For the interested, PowerShell runs fine inside Console as best I can tell :)

console: a great CMD.exe replacement application

damax:
@Josh: you're right. I made the "mistake" to click on the download-link (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43764) instead of looking at the project page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/console)  :-\ sorry about that.

justice:
I couldn't get tab completion to work anyone else had more luck? This is essential for me being a keybaord junkie

f0dder:
I couldn't get tab completion to work anyone else had more luck? This is essential for me being a keybaord junkie-justice (March 28, 2008, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Works fine for me, but it's really a cmd.exe setting, not a console2 setting afaik... iirc on XP it's on by default, while on 2k (and vista?) you need to fix a registry setting. If tab completion works for you in vanilla cmd.exe but not console2, I dunno :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version