topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Suggestions for Automating Paper Survey Results  (Read 3139 times)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Suggestions for Automating Paper Survey Results
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:25 AM »
I am part of a industry organization that holds engineering related talks, events and seminars where we give people paper survey (feedback) forms. Till now, we have been manually entering the data into spreadsheets for tallying results. This is time consuming. The problem with asking people to do the survey online is that the feedback will not be as fresh and the response numbers are also lower.

I am looking at the possibility of using OMR (Optical Marker Recognition) to make it easier for data tallying. This means we simply scan the result sheets using a standard scanner and the results are automatically "read" and recorded to a spreadsheet. I am currently looking for a good OMR solution. Free or FOSS preferred, but I can shell out for a decent commercial package is needed.

So far, I've found the following: QueXF - FOSS, but seems hard to set up and use.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestions for Automating Paper Survey Results
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:59 PM »
I'm afraid I don't have a solution to offer but I would also be very interested to find an easy to use program of that kind. Hopefully someone else knows of one! Standard flatbed scanners are so common so it would be weird if there aren't any more tools of this sort around.