ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SuperboyAC's DC blog #2 (Live Search feature in software)

<< < (9/15) > >>

urlwolf:
I've never used MyBase, but I now have 240 MB of data in TheBat mailboxes. I don't think any search algorithm, no matter how good, will run through that much text as fast as you can type. So I think it's not the case of some programmers being lazier than others, or falling behind the curve. It's often the nature of the database that dictates what's feasible. In TB, if you didn't have to press Enter to initiate searching, you'd be experiencing a brief "freeze" after typing each character - and that would produce a much worse usability experience, the program would feel clunky.
You bring up some really good points about the speed of live searching vs. the size of the database.  Now that I think about it, I don't think it was fair of me to include the Bat's filter box in this little review, because it's not really meant to be a live search.  It's more of a filtering box.  But, yes, I can definitely see how these little programs have an advantage over the ones that have large databases.  I never thought about that, so it's a good perspective to have when I compare the features.
--- End quote ---

I have 768Mb of mboxes in opera and search is instantaneous?

iphigenie:
I have 768Mb of mboxes in opera and search is instantaneous?
-urlwolf (March 05, 2007, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have a large mailbox and if i use the type-as-u-search filter box with all the messages shown, there's a noticeable but short delay, half a second, sometimes a second on the first letter. That's if you type one letter then wait for the results. If you type several letters the result feels near instantaneous.

I am not sure whether the delay is because of the time for search or simply because it waits a tiny bit when you have 1-2 letters to see if more are coming. After all it is actually extremely fast to search for one term in simple text files like email, so it could be an artificial pause

CodeTRUCKER:
Find As You Type for Internet Explorer

Stays out of your way until you need it.  When you need it just "CTRL + F" and start typing!  Works just like FF, Maxthon and Opera, but with some options.  Source code in all languages is available and the developer has other software too!

Enjoy!  :)

Nxqd3051990:
Superb post, I think I'll check Directory Opus now  :Thmbsup:

alexey_r:
It isn't that new -- Emacs has had it for a few decades now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version