ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SuperboyAC's DC blog #2 (Live Search feature in software)

<< < (10/15) > >>

Darwin:
Gosh! I almost forgot my absolute favorite of all, which also supports live search: ZTreeWin (http://www.ztree.com/).
-yksyks (February 28, 2007, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is really, really late in reply to your post, but I've never been able to figure out how to change directories in ZTWin  :-[ :o :-\

suleika:
My most-used Thunderbird extension, called Nostalgy, is a tool for quick moving and copying emails between folders, as well as quick navigation to the folders.  I find it incredibly fast and easy to use.  It uses simple and configurable keyboard shortcuts for its folder completion box which appears instantly as a popup from the status bar.  Eg I type "s fam" and enter and the current email gets saved to "family" folder (or I could use c for copy or g for go). 

rjbull:
Following the link to here in the MyLifeOrganized review update:

A nice extra feature of EverNote is that if you put two terms in the search box, it treats them as a Boolean AND, highlighting the search strings in different colours.  Boolean searching is valuable to me.

Another simple card file with what looks to me very good live search, which they call it Filter-on-typing:  AZZ Cardfile.  It holds the data on disk and the index in memory for fast search and sensible retrieval.  Interesting claim:

Cards limit should be around 2,000,000,000 - be the first to try it. Each card can hold any amount of data, it is limited only by system memory resources. We have tested cardfile with 100,000 cards, size of one card was over 10 MB.

--- End quote ---

The last free version, which works entirely in memory, can be found here.  Keep paging down to "Old versions" at the bottom of the page.

superboyac:
A nice extra feature of EverNote is that if you put two terms in the search box, it treats them as a Boolean AND, highlighting the search strings in different colours.  Boolean searching is valuable to me.
-rjbull (June 27, 2008, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Aww!!  I never realized that!  That kicks butt!  Evernote was such a great program.  Check out the screenshot:
SuperboyAC's DC blog #2 (Live Search feature in software)

Another simple card file with what looks to me very good live search, which they call it Filter-on-typing:  AZZ Cardfile.  It holds the data on disk and the index in memory for fast search and sensible retrieval.
--- End quote ---
Yeah, AZZ was the very first program that I noticed the feature in years ago.  But it only searched the titles of the cards, not the entire database.

yksyks:
I've never been able to figure out how to change directories in ZTWin  :-[ :o :-\-Darwin (February 10, 2008, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just press the Shift key as you type and you are immediately and incrementally put in the proper directory. The same works for files in the File View. Or, you can use the Spell search function (just enter the "|" character). I agree that not all those extremely powerful options are obvious at first, but generally it pays off to browse throughout the help file and learn some of those. You'll reach an extraordinary productivity!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version