ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IDEA: CD-RW/DVD-RW emulated drive?

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Not sure if this is available anywhere else or how hard it would be to produce but I could really use a CD/DVD writer drive emulator.

There are plenty of CD-ROM/DVD-ROM emulators out there (such as DriveImage supplied with Nero) but I haven't seen any equivalent writer/re-writer emulators

Ideally the drive should appear as a normal windows device but allow writing and capturing the output to either a HardDisk folder or an ISO image.

The reason for this is I have a number of programs that burn directly to disk and have no way to save images otherwise - particularly Audio and Video stuff. It would be really useful to be able to edit the output contents before burning a physical disc.

Carol Haynes:
 :o

Awestruck by the huge response

If no one knows of one of these how hard would it be to produce such a programme ?

jpfx:
I've never seen anything for what you want BUT I would consider using CDRW, copying the iso to hdd and using an iso editor to work on that.

mouser:
carol, someone pointed me to a thread on the alcohol 120% forum where someone requested this and was told it would be a lot of work to do.
you'd think something like this would be available for testing purposes, but i haven't found anything.
on the other hand with the price and speed of burners, you might just burn it to cd, then make iso file from cd, then throw cd into garbage.

Carol Haynes:
I see your point. It isn't stinginess on my part but time but more to do with time.

I listen to a lot of audio books when I drive. I buy most online these days via www.audible.com and the audible app is totally crap. Most books are burnt over numerous CDs (often 8, 9 or 10) and they tend to fade out each disk with an overlap with the next (very irritating).

My car has a CD changer in the trunk (I'll make a concession to American vernacular), but I don't want to have to fill it up with a single book (and then stop the car to reload the cartridge halfway through).

Ideally I want to put the books on a Zen Micro in MP3 or WMA format or make an MP3 disc for a portable player, but there is no way of generating this except for burning to CDs, ripping the CDs and then editing out the overlaps. I have literally dozens of books, so even with cheap media it still works out expensive to burn and chuck discs, and it is incredibly time consuming (even with a fast burner). If I try to save money by using CDRW discs then burning is even slower, plus I have to reformat a lot - even more time.

This isn't the only application which would make this useful for me, but is the main one at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version