ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IDEA: CD-RW/DVD-RW emulated drive?

<< < (4/4)

f0dder:
Sounds weird about that pricing stuff indeed, carol :)

I can see how this would be a useful feature to have, especially since burning and then ripping is a pretty slow and tedious process, whereas emulating and just writing an ISO image could be pretty darn fast.

But complicated, yeah. First of all, it requires driver code. And then it requires supporting an even larger subset of the ATAPI commands than a "simple" virtual-cd driver. And possibly supporting different quirks that the various burning applications have.

wr975:
I actually want to burn discs from things like Windows Media Player and Audible Manager so that I can rip the DRMed stuff back to MP3 (or WAV) without having to burn a disc.
-Carol Haynes (June 12, 2008, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ever tried Tunebite? It plays DRMed stuff in high speed and saves it unprotected.

http://tunebite.com/en/remove_drm/index.html

Tunebite's up to 27x speed recording process (High-Speed Digital Dubbing) lets you automatically free up to nine music tracks from DRM copy protection simultaneously at turbo speed (actual speed is dependent on your Windows version and PC performance).
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
I tried Tunebite ages ago but IIRC it doesn't play .AA files (maybe wrong it was a long time ago).

Jimdoria:
Well, to go off in a different direction, is it possible (or practical) to simply capture the audio out of the Audible player and work with that?

I've used Total Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com) for years to break out DRMed music so I could put it in MP3 format. It's a virtual sound card driver and recorder program that records the output of any application that plays audio and can save it as a WAV or MP3.

If the Audible player can play an entire audio book at one go on the PC, you could start it playing overnight and in the morning have an MP3 file of the thing ready to slice/dice/burn as you please. Total Recorder is pretty smart about not recording silence, system noises, etc.

It's a great tool, and reasonably priced (about US$30 as I recall).

CWuestefeld:
I tried Tunebite ages ago but IIRC it doesn't play .AA files (maybe wrong it was a long time ago).
-Carol Haynes (June 13, 2008, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
I use this twice a month for my Audible subscription.

Tunebite doesn't play .AA itself. But it uses iTunes to decode the files (Audible has a plugin for iTunes). It's able to do this at 1.8x normal playback speed.

I think this is about the best solution available for my needs. I can listen to my audiobooks on my Zune anywhere I want. And I can store archival copies of them too, in a format that I'm reasonably confident will be playable for years to come regardless of what becomes of the DRM.

But that's partly driven by the Zune's quirks, where it's easier to handle audiobooks as giant podcasts. For other devices YMMV.

I can see that ISO images of CDDA discs would also be a good archival format, but you'll also have an additional recoding step in the process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version