ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IDEA: CD-RW/DVD-RW emulated drive?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have VirtualCD - it sometimes works OK but often the write function is a bit temperamental (or plain just doesn't work).

I actually want to burn discs from things like Windows Media Player and Audible Manager so that I can rip the DRMed stuff back to MP3 (or WAV) without having to burn a disc.

For mounting drives I now use MagicISO (which is free). It mounts just about any format you can throw at it.

I'll give Phantom drive a looksee - thanks for the tip.

xtabber:
I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by a CD/DVVD writer emulator.

Nero allows you to write a a CD or DVD image to your hard disk.  In version 7, which is what I use, you just select Image Recorder as the device to write to.

But a much easier option is UltraISO (http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/) which costs $29.95 and allows you to create and edit CD and DVD ISO images. You can drag files and drectories to and from ISO images or remove them altogether, create ISO images from or burn them to physical discs, create bootable discs, etc.  It includes a basic CD drive emulator, but the images it creates can be mounted with all such programs that I know of.

mwb1100:
I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by a CD/DVVD writer emulator.
-xtabber (June 12, 2008, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

The idea is that there are some applications like iTunes or Media Player that have a built-in burn to CD function, but do not contain an option to write to an image.  So, for example, if you want to convert some of your songs purchased in the iTunes store to MP3 you could burn the song to a CD then rip the CD to MP3's.  If you have a virtual CD writer you can save time and discs.

Carol Haynes:
Been looking at Phantom Drive (at least at the website).

What I don't really understand is why the same company produce two competing products (they also sell VirtualCD) and sell the new product with HD formats support for 50% of the price of the other product. Strange ???

I have Virtual CD 8 and found its ability to produce ISO images from apps such as iTunes was a bit hit and miss. Maybe it was my system ??? Strangely the upgrade to VCD 9 costs the same as a new license for Phantom Drive ???

mwb1100:
What I don't really understand is why the same company produce two competing products (they also sell VirtualCD)
-Carol Haynes (June 12, 2008, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

You know, I read the article (or at least scanned it) and didn't clue in to that fact. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version