ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

cost of running a pc (in the UK)?

<< < (2/10) > >>

mouser:
While it may be true that the only truly precise way to measure energy use is a meter, it seems to me that a simple approcimate table on thw web of the various approximate energy consumption of common pc/electronic peripherals would more than suffice.

nudone:
if you search for 'cost of running a pc' in google you'll find plenty of opinion about the expense involved - quite a few erroneous calculations too, but hey, it is physics and dat makes my bwain hurt.

rather than post links to yet more forums discussing the subject i'll just state what looks appealing/satisfying to me:

it costs about £0.35, that's thirty five pence, to run a typical pc for 24 hours. it's not a precise figure and intentionally so as you'll need to plug your machine into a meter if you want a real number - just calculating by using numbers like your psu wattage won't give you an accurate result as your psu isn't likely to be used to it's full potential.

i can't say how £0.35 translates for the rest of the world as i'm sure paying for electric doesn't have a globally fixed price.

if i find a site that's worth mentioning i'll post it here but as yet i've not found anything that didn't start to make my eyes glaze over after a few paragraphs. maybe someone else will know of one.

lanux128:
i read an article somewhere in the local tech mag about the existence of online psu calculator that factors in the local electricity rates.. i will have to dig for it & will post it once i find it.. :)

f0dder:
I wonder how much PSU efficiency matters... and idle vs. fully loaded should also have quite a bit to say, depending on the PC. So I don't think there's really any way around the power meter (can it really be that hard to get such a thing to output the current wattage? O_o)

Nighted:
I saw a new case with 2 PSU bays in it! Then I saw an 850 watt power supply. Actually, I think that's going to be my next case. (Lian Li is excellent quality)

Maybe in 10 years I'll buy one of those wind mills just to power my computer.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version