ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WIndows Vista Ultimate ... worth upgrading ... CNET say no!

<< < (2/11) > >>

nudone:
just the usual hype isn't it.

i've read that networking is a nightmare from an expert that tried, but the way vista works so that it doesn't crash the whole system when a game crashes sounded good - only useful if you play games that crash or lock the screen up, of course.

jgpaiva:
The one i find most interesting is "3. Improved Performance". When you have an OS that takes half the system resources for itself, how can it improve performance?
Do they mean that incompressing a 4gb rar file will be faster in vista then it is on windows?
Or maybe they only say that because vista will make you have to upgrade your hardware and thus make your computer faster?
Also, don't forget about "8. Easier Search and Organization". That's easy to improve, as there's NO search or organization in XP. Also, most of us already use programs for that that most probably are better then the functions in vista.

I'm finding this most disapointing. Truth is that more and more people are asking me the "why windows vs mac OS" and i'm starting to find that there are no acceptable answers. It's sad to see so much good stuff in mac's OSs and nothing new in windows. One would expect that with so much time and money they'd come up with something really fantastic.
I'm very sorry to say i think the next generation's OS might very well be made by apple. :(

Carol Haynes:
Er ... wasn't WinXP the ultimate OS that prevented the whole system crashing ;) ?

Carol Haynes:
I'm very sorry to say i think the next generation's OS might very well be made by apple. :(
-jgpaiva (January 26, 2007, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

The trouble is that if Steve Jobs had any real sense of vision he would have spotted this long ago. There is now no real barrier to porting MacOS to PC hardware (since the new Macs basically use PC hardware these days anyway). If MacOS was ported and sold as a viable alternative to Windows on existing hardware it would benefit everyone - not least Apple who would expand their OS market share exponentially.

While Jobs and co. are committed to style beyond substance and the perennial aim to sell basic hardware at ridiculously inflated prices MS will maintain its dominance.

nudone:
Er ... wasn't WinXP the ultimate OS that prevented the whole system crashing ;) ?
-Carol Haynes (January 26, 2007, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

very true. looks like i've already started to believe the hype.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version