ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

is it me or is it the machine (i'm sorry for even posting this).

<< < (6/10) > >>

nudone:
right, i'm now going to run chkdsk /f /r which, as i undertand it, will try to fix the problems it finds and will also scan for bad sectors.

i'll run this on all 5 partitions - that's 3 partitions on the raid 0 drive and then on each of the individual samsung drives.

memtest reported no errors but i shall run it again later.

Carol Haynes:
fodder, Carol - Would the chkdisk even "see" these sectors since they were in the "Unmovable Files" area of the drive.  I thought chkdisk only checked the data area?
-Farmsteader (January 24, 2007, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you do an offline chkdsk you can check the whole disk (including the pafefil.sys and hivberfil.sys files which can't be checked when they are in use). Bad blocks in the page file can have pretty odd random events.

If you have multiple installations you can speed up offline chkdsk activity by running it from a different installation and using the /x switch.

cthorpe:
Any recent windows updates that could be mucking things up?

nudone:
(still running chkdsk)

whilst i'm running chkdsk from the command prompt it first asks if the volume can be dismounted first as the drive is in use - to which i reply 'yes'.

so is this scanning everything or not?

f0dder:
If it didn't bitch about not being able to dismount the volume, it should be fine - otherwise it usually says "couldn't dismount, check at next boot?".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version