ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

New Version - Anyone feeling helpful to test new license system?

(1/8) > >>

mouser:
this is especially useful for people who are not yet members of the site and might want the latest version of screenshot captor.

as per the long discussion here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=631.0
we are going to try something new and we are adding a new uniform license key system for donationcoder.com software.

as discussed in the above thread, all of our software will remain freeware, but the license key system will be a way of requiring people to visit our homepage to get either a freeware license or a member license to continue using the program without nags after some period.

basically the idea is to at least get some of the people who normally just download the programs from an external link to at least make one visit to the site to download their key file and read a little blurb about what this site is about and why they should consider donating.

i expect there will be a bit of complaining about this - i understand it is a bit annoying.  we may discontinue it if it doesnt do any good and just annoys people, but i'd like to give it a try.  if it's acceptable then it also means we can make the latest versions of all soft available to all, rather than keeping latest versions for members only (since members will have a different advantage - no need to come get freeware licenses).

anyway, the first app with the new system is the latest version of screenshot captor.  Does anyone feel adventurous and is willing to try the new version?

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/screenshotcaptor/downloads/ScreenshotCaptor.exe

this can be installed over existing version as normal, but on your first use youll see an intro dialog welcoming you.  after 15 days or so youll see a little alert box on bottom right reminding you you need to get a license key.  after 45 days the program will stop working without a license key.

ill make a variety of licenses for people to test, and of course anyone who tests who isnt a member will be made a member of the site.

we havent implemented the web-based license key generation page yet - but that will come soon.  for now i will make license keys for people on request (though im interested in people testing the program without any license keys first).

note: this isn't meant to be a strong security solution or to prevent piracy, or is it meant to annoy people into donating - it's just a minimal attempt to encourage regular people to come visit the site if they like the software.

mouser:
this version of screenshot captor also demonstrates our new installer system:

the download is a sfx zip compatible exe.  You can simply run it to install the program, OR you can unzip the download and work with the files normally.

this should be a perfect compromise that is suitable for both people who like automatic installers and those who hate them.  If it is liked, then all of our software will move to this approach.

---

new features in this version of screenshot captor:
added custom resize dialog. 
  · fixed a bug which could cause heavy cpu usage when marching ants marquee was showing current selection, even if minimized(!). 
 · better memory usage for image capture component. 
 · added ColorCop setup progam to extras folder. 
 · added submitted ftp commandline interface tool to extras folder (thanks chrono).   

mouser:
note:

after 14 days of being installed this version will show a little nag alert in bottom right when it is first run.
of course anyone who installs this version to help test it will be provided with a full license key at that point which will eliminate this alert and all expirations, etc. for the program.

i would appreciate any feedback about any problems.

zridling:
Be happy to, but let me run it so I can see the nag alert in two weeks.

AbteriX:
Some points from me IMHO:

- new SFX Installer/Unpacker is a good thing

- that you want the people come to your side, see other soft and maybe donate
I could understand and it's legitim

- the 15 day nag is ok too

But i can't understand why your FREEWARE stops working after 45 days ?
Iam think not all people of the world want to read long terms of lizenzes
or web sides with infos about other apps or donations.
Because not all are good in english understanding.

*I* found it better that the start of your soft delays for one minute
or save only in one format or something like that the people could live with.

I often tryed software and forgot them for a few weeks
because i don't need them. If i now out for vacation
and come back and my mouser soft want not to start anymore
i would search for an other soft without this bandages
 (maybe i don't understand right what happens 'cus i don't understand english).

So i suggest first an better way to woo the people to your side
and second to include a few readmes in foreign languages (german i could do :) )
to make this politic understandable for non-english people.

To stop the soft to work is the worst way (IMHO!!!)

better maybe
- start delay (1 minutes after 45 days, 2 minutes after 60 days,...)
- crippled features
- "created with..." branding on all shots after 45 days
- don't store the settings anymore after 45days

----
How did SC know that i get an lizenz ? Would there be an extra file ?
Or an item in the INI (what i would prefer) ?

And why must i did an extra 360kB download for tools i don't need or already have ? (FTP and ColorCop)
Wouldn't be an extra download link to download the colorcop more nifty for people how don't have it ?
(the 24kB FTPcmd don't matter, thought)
I know already people how work with an 56k Modem  :) or ISDN

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version