topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Add cover art to MP3 from command line  (Read 17457 times)

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: Add cover art to MP3 from command line
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:50 AM »
I'm looking for a Windows tool which adds cover art to MP3 files, preserving existing ID3 tags, so I can use it in scripts, like

"tool.exe folder.jpg title.mp3"

I don't care if it's a console application or not, it should just accept command line parameters (with no output).

I found a tool doing exactly such thing called "MetaMP3 v0.92 beta 5" (about four years old) but the tool isn't unicode and messing up ID3tags with international characters. >:(

The next best - and only - thing is probably eyeD3, but I can't figure out how to get this Python source compiled.  :-\

My extensive Internet search also brought up "Tag", which is pretty cool to extract Id3v2 info, but it can't write id3v2.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:55 AM by wr975 »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Add cover art to MP3 from command line
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 02:21 PM »
So, I answer my own thread...  :-[

I googled a bit more and found somewhere the most essential info how to get the eye3D Python script working, since it's not really meant to be run under Windows (rename filename from eyeD3.py to eyed3.py).

Tried two different python2exe compilers to get standalone Windows exe files, but all two two error out. So a Python script it is. It's slower than using metamp3.exe but it's not messing with unicode id3tags, so I'm happy. :D

Update: Instead of launching "python.exe eyeD3.py" for every file the Autohotkey script now generates one Python script using the eyeD3 library. So it's a lot faster, and I mean a lot. Also there's now a GUI for stand-alone use (no command line parameter passed).

screen.jpg

Attached to this post are two simple Autohotkey scripts I'm using:
FolderArtDownloadHelper (a GUI for AlbumArtDownloader with command line support)
FolderArtWriter (a GUI to write album art files in MP3 files using Python eyeD3. It can manage huge amounts of folders.)

Alternatives:
Metamp3 (can't handle unicode characters in ID3 tags)
Mutagen (is not supporting special ID3 tags like TXXX file signature)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:38 AM by wr975 »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Add cover art to MP3 from command line
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing your work, wr975.  I'll mark this thread as solved.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: Add cover art to MP3 from command line
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 02:06 AM »
Hi skwire/wr975,

I was JUST about to ask for this app before browsing this forum.  What are the chances.  I am in dire need of this exact app.

basically, I want to be able to drag and drop 950 folders onto this app (each has folder.jpg inside of it) and have them embed the photo to all of my mp3s, unicode or not and leave tags.

It seems like this will do that, but I can't figure out 1) where to download the compiled exe.  I see the script there but I do not have AHK and would just like a standalone .exe like splaylistwriter and wastenot, etc.

Is this possible?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:18 AM »
basically, I want to be able to drag and drop 950 folders onto this app (each has folder.jpg inside of it) and have them embed the photo to all of my mp3s, unicode or not and leave tags.

If you can't get wr975's solution to work, I would recommend using mp3Tag for this.  I have an "Import folder.jpg" action set up within the program that does this beautifully. 

• Choose: Actions > Actions from the menu.
  • Click the New button, give your action a name and click OK.
  • Click the New button again, and choose "Import cover from file" from the dropdown and click OK.
  • Enter "folder.jpg" without the quotes into the field and, optionally, check the "Delete existing cover art" box.  Click OK a few times to get back to the main interface.
  • Add all your music folders to the list, highlight them all, and choose your new Action from the list and sit back.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 02:22 AM »
skwire,
You never cease to amaze me.  Thank you! This works out perfectly for me and I don't even have to install/run another exe!

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:32 PM »
If you can't get wr975's solution to work, I would recommend using mp3Tag for this...

Hey, why didn't you tell me earlier? :) Could've saved me some work.  :D  :)  :P

I didn't know MP3tag could so such thing. Sounds like a great program.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Hey, why didn't you tell me earlier? :) Could've saved me some work.  :D  :)  :P

I apologise.   :(  In hindsight, I really should have mentioned that method but it wasn't a commandline method as per your original request.

I didn't know MP3tag could so such thing. Sounds like a great program.

mp3Tag is an awesome program and one definitely worth donating to (I did).  It is the only tagger I use.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Mp3tag is the GOD of all mp3 taggers. It is the gold standard IMO