ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

password-protect external HD (USB)?

<< < (5/10) > >>

brotherS:

* what comes here?-brotherS (January 22, 2007, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
I double-click on the encrypted volume container file and the TrueCrypt mount dialog comes up.  I choose the drive letter to mount the volume on, click the 'mount' button, enter the passphrase, and I have a newly accessible drive letter.

Note that working this way (double-clicking on the container file) requires that TrueCrypt (TC) be installed on the computer, but TC will work without being installed - though you do need admin access to work without installation.
-mwb1100 (January 22, 2007, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting... is it possible to automate this (with AutoHotkey or however) so that I will automatically be asked for the password directly after Windows 'sees' the connected HD? I'd also like it to always get the same drive letter, so if that could be automated too it would be great :)

jgpaiva:
I'd also like it to always get the same drive letter, so if that could be automated too it would be great :)
-brotherS (January 22, 2007, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not sure about the rest, but i think this does happen. My external usb disk always gets mounted with the same letter, even if i connect any usb drive with it disconnected and connect it after.

mwb1100:
I haven't tried automating TrueCrypt mounting, but TC has a commandline interface, so as long as you can get a specified command to execute when you attach the drive (I imagine that AHK can do this) then you can get the encrypted volume to automount.

tymrwt33:
NTFS drives are encryptable, but not automatically encryupted. If you use XP Pro it has an ability to encrypt, but you have to do it. XP Home does not. You have to use an outside program such as True Crypt, or a host of other freebies.
I move my USB NTFS Hard Drive between my desktop and laptop without any problem and can read and write on either computer.
If you give your neighbor an un-encrypted NTDF drive he will be able to read it on his computer.

CmputrAce:
Truecrypt is really a good way to encrypt a thumb drive or USB hard drive. You just need to know a couple of things...

If you are going to carry this drive between computers and can't guarantee that the computer you will be connecting to has TrueCrypt installed on it, then you'll probalby want to put the TrueCrypt program on the drive with it's driver installation feature. What you will wind up with is an external drive that will take up TWO drive slots on the PC you are connecting to. One for the TrueCrypt software and one for the NTFS (hopefully) partition.

If TrueCrypt will be installed on all the PCs that you will be connecting to, then you can format the entire USB drive as a TrueCrypt volume and have the software auto-detect and auto-install the device when you plug it in.

It's not a simple program to install and understand, but if you take a little time to experiment, you'll come up with a setup that will serve you quite well.

I'm not a TrueCrypt god, just a basic user.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version