ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

password-protect external HD (USB)?

<< < (6/10) > >>

imtrobin:
Truecrypt still needs admin access to run, no?

mwb1100:
Truecrypt still needs admin access to run, no?
-imtrobin (February 04, 2007, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, TrueCrypt needs admin access to install, but not to run.  If you want to run it in no-install mode, this will also need admin privileges (since it has to load a device driver).

ghacks:
I have been using True Crypt on my external hard drive for the last 18 months and it was the best choice ever. Setup is not complicated at all, the help file provides a walkthrough to encrypting the whole drive / part of the drive. You just have to decide on the encryption algorithm alone, just do some research on the subject, should not be a problem.

The best feature is that there is absolutely no speed decrease while using True Crypt. Absolutely recommended.

MerleOne:
See also Cryptainer from Cypherix : http://www.cypherix.co.uk/index.htm 
I use it on a regular basis with no problem.  There a limited version, that only handles small containers (lockers) which is free.

Also have a look at FolderLock, http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/.  Seems interesting.

CWuestefeld:
Earlier it was asserted that NTFS encryption can be decrypted on a different system if one just moves some registry keys. This might be true for XP in a standalone or workgroup configuration, but it is decidedly not true if you're in a domain.

If you attach the drive to a different domain, or if you lose the domain controller, you will NOT be able to decrypt the data. And since the idea here is to keep a backup secure, one must assume that the reason for restoring the backup might be that the domain was destroyed.

So, I second the recommendation of TrueCrypt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version