ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dexpot: Probably the best virtual desktop manager around

<< < (5/14) > >>

f0dder:
I've played with virtual desktops on several occasions, and my shell of choice (blackbox for windows) supports it as well... but I've never been able to get used to the stuff. I've tried, but... no.

Instead, I have two physical monitors, and move "junk" on one, and the stuff I work with on the other. For instance an editor and a shell on the primary monitor, and msn+irc+API reference+firefox on the other.

Curt:
Instead, I have two physical monitors, and move "junk" on one, and the stuff I work with on the other. For instance an editor and a shell on the primary monitor, and msn+irc+API reference+firefox on the other. -f0dder (January 20, 2007, 07:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

- I think this was the most useful answer to me so far!

IF I've understood all this by now, then my earlier guess / question was right:

Well, maybe I can see it... Is it to keep 'overview' and stay organized in order? Sort of: 'one thing at a time' - 'this desktop for this kind of job, and that desktop for that different kind of job'?

-Curt (January 20, 2007, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

?? - you tell me  :tellme:

jgpaiva:
Well, Darwin.... If you asked me a few months ago, i'd answer "i can't live without it!!".
But that was when i used blackbox for windows. When i stopped using it, i couldn't find any program up to the job, no virtual desktop program could give me the results i was looking after.
Then i developed GridMove, and i didn't need virtual desktops anymore, since my desktop became much more organized.
Now i'm testing Dexpot to find out how much use i have for it. Nevertheless, it's definitelly the best vdm around, that's why i posted about it. :)

From what i know, if you tend to have a cluttered desktop, and keep alt-tabing and not finding the stuff you want, you definitelly could use the help of a vdm. That's because you could distribute those windows through other desktops, creating sort of "groups", which would allow you to find the windows you're looking for more easily. At the time, i frequently had a browser in one desktop, msn windows in another one, a file explorer in another one and winamp and p2p in the 4th one. I never used more than 4, and some time i'd have one free anyways. I frequently scrolled over them all with win+right/left, or if i was interested in doing something in one specific desktop, i'd press win + 1/2/3/4 to switch directly to that one.

cranioscopical:
FWIW Dexpot (or some interaction with it) significantly interfered with my system.  No context-menu funtionality, no shut down from the START menu, Task Manager inaccessible. Had to shut down from a command-line utility.  It's gone from my system now, and things are back to normal.  I don't like it enough to bother with another round.

f0dder, do you use UltraMon?  I wondered if the problem might be a collision with that.

f0dder:
Nope, don't use UltraMon - and don't have any problems :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version