ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dexpot: Probably the best virtual desktop manager around

<< < (3/14) > >>

Darwin:
Can 'you' explain to me what a virtual desktop really is? And why I would want such a thing? Do I need a manager if I have one virtual desktop only? - and then, why I would want more than one?
--- End quote ---

'Several monitors in one' - the purpose being? Forgive me if I am just plain narrow minded, but what can you do with more monitors in one, that you can't do with more windows open on that one and same screen?
--- End quote ---

Thank you Curt! Your channeling my thoughts exactly. I've always wondered about the rationale behind Virtual Desktops as well.

Curt:
It's like having several monitors in one, and only show one at a time. Extremely useful once you get the hang of it.-TucknDar (January 20, 2007, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

'Several monitors in one' - the purpose being? Forgive me if I am just plain narrow minded, but what can you do with more monitors in one, that you can't do with more windows open on that one and same screen?
-Curt (January 20, 2007, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, maybe I can see it... Is it to keep 'overview' and stay organized in order? Sort of: 'one thing at a time' - ''this desktop for this kind of job, and that desktop for that different kind of job'?

Curt:
Thank you Curt! Your channeling my thoughts exactly. I've always wondered about the rationale behind Virtual Desktops as well.
-Darwin (January 20, 2007, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Frankly, I am not wondering about the rationale, but trying to understand at all  :-[

jgpaiva:
EhEh.. It's "virtual", that's why it is hard to explain.
Wikipedia's definition is also quite useless.
Curt: virtual desktops have nothing to do with the option you mentioned that you tried. That's "active desktop". That's useless, but virtual desktops are very useful.
To better explain this concept, take a look at the image i posted above, the second one with 4 desktops. That's how it works. Notice that on the top-left, there are several windows, and in the others, there are none.
This way, i could have for example: internet explorer on the top-left desktop, msn messenger windows on the top-right desktop, winamp on the bottom-left desktop and another program in the bottom-left desktop.

The advantage? When i am in one of the desktops, i don't see the windows present on the other desktops. This way, they don't interfeer with what i'm doing in that desktop.
This kind of programs help you reduce the clutter in your desktop, byt dividing the stuff you have in one, by several of them.

To switch between desktops, you just press a key (for example, windows + right arrow to go from desktop1 to desktop2) or just bump the mouse against the edge of the screen.
Do you understand what i mean?

Curt:
Well, maybe I understand you, jgpaiva, ... time will show...  :-[

- but it is still the desktop only, not the PC, that is virtual, isn't it?
If a program is designed to open in one instance only, then you are not able to work with that program on four desktops, are you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version