ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dexpot: Probably the best virtual desktop manager around

<< < (2/14) > >>

jgpaiva:
does that mean you can have different grids for different virtual screens?
-nudone (January 20, 2007, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Tell me: where do you get all those fantastic ideas??  :tellme:

Well... Currently.. No. But can be done :)
GridMove currently doesn't accept any command line parameters, but i can have it accept. Then, in dexpot, you "configure desktops" and have it run gridmove on each change to a desktop, with the parameter being the name of the grid. (did i explain myself well?)

No.. *caveat* GridMove still takes a bit to load (at least in my computer, takes about 3 sec). So, each time you changed desktops, you'l lose gridmove for that time. BUT maybe i can fix that, i'm not sure. I need to take a good look at the code.

PS: each time you launch gridmove, the previous instance is closed. That's why this works.

nudone:
i see. i don't think 3 seconds is too bad a delay but i suppose it depends on how you use the computer.

it would be handy to have working with virtual desktops regardless of the delay.

Curt:
This thread is so far going way over my head. I have no idea of what a 'virtual desktop' is, and have never clicked at 'Active Desktop > Adjust Desktop/ New / Show web content' - well, once, and then something terrible happened, and I never tried again. If the two subjects, virtual and active desktop, are connected at all?

Can 'you' explain to me what a virtual desktop really is? And why I would want such a thing? Do I need a manager if I have one virtual desktop only? - and then, why I would want more than one?

Sorry for asking such beginner's questions, but the subject never caught my interest before - and I don't think Microsoft's explanation on 'Virtual Desktop' is much of a help, it made me even more confused.  :tellme:

TucknDar:
It's like having several monitors in one, and only show one at a time. Extremely useful once you get the hang of it.

Curt:
It's like having several monitors in one, and only show one at a time. Extremely useful once you get the hang of it.-TucknDar (January 20, 2007, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

'Several monitors in one' - the purpose being? Forgive me if I am just plain narrow minded, but what can you do with more monitors in one, that you can't do with more windows open on that one and same screen?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version