ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Giveaway of the Day - HDDlife for Notebooks - Using your notebook on your bed ?

<< < (2/2)

patteo:
Interestingly, Speedfan is freeware or should I say Donationware as there's a donation button on the site.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I guess Speedfan would do the job as well if not better.

Just take note that you will not be able to reinstall HDDLife for Notebook (giveawayoftheday version) if you reinstall your notebook.

But again, one should not over-rely on these utilities for the condition of harddisks.

Nothing can replace a consistent backup routine.

Darwin:
I have also seen the praises of Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) sung on forums around the internet. Having tried it last week, though, I would advise anyone loading it to monitor its resource utilisation. On my system is was very resource intensive (no numbers recorded to back this up, though). HDDLife is very light on resources and does what I want it to. I don't know how long it will remain on my system because I am very meticulous about data backups (Genie BackUp Manager Pro) and disk imaging (Acronis TrueImage) and get the feeling that apps like HDDLife are more of a novelty. Who knows, though, perhaps I am wrong.

kfitting:
I've been using NHC for awhile and haven't noticed the resource problem.  Currently at less than <1% CPU and 3.45 mb RAM.  Of course, different systems will react differently!

Kevin

Darwin:
Yeah, I was pretty sure that my experience with NHC was unusual. FWIW, it is more configureable and gives more information than does HDDLife Pro, so if anyone else installs it and doesn't see the resource problem that I did, you're lucky! It's free and it's powerful.

'nuff said...

Darwin:
I'm running a later version of  NHC and can confirm that it's not using any CPU at all and only about 4.5MB of RAM. Quite an interesting application, I only re-installed it this morning and will report back with my experiences!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version