ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

From the makers of CCleaner... Recuva

(1/3) > >>

Lashiec:
Since the inception and great success of CCleaner, the developers of this piece of software founded a small company, Piriform, to take advantage of the success of its first application, and the development of new tools. Well, here's the first one. Recuva in words of its developers:

Recuva (pronounced "recover") is a freeware utility to restore files that have been accidentally deleted from your computer. This includes files emptied from the Windows Recycle bin as well as images and other files that have been deleted by user error from digital camera memory cards or MP3 players. It will even bring back files that have been deleted by bugs, crashes and viruses!
--- End quote ---

Lazy guy as I am (and curiously "PrintScreen" is not working...) I can't link any image, but in its web page you can find some shots. It's very much like CCleaner visual style, which, in my opinion, is a good thing.

[ed. by mouser to attach screenshot]

Curt:
I performed a very short mini test on this app, and compared it to Undelete PLUS

Undelete PLUS would use 25 minutes to scan my PC

- now hold on to your hat:

Recuva Beta 1 would use 52 seconds to do the same!

- Undelete PLUS found 9839 files - Recuva Beta 1: 9802

Other that that, you can tell that Undelete Plus is version 2.5.2 - it is far more finished and userfriendly, and comes with a user interface in 24 languages. If that is enough to waith another 24 minutes is up to the user. I would think that for both programs there has to be a better 'undelete' program somewhere out there...

Curt:
I should add that the Recuva scan will 'transfer' some time critical operations into the processing phase (filling State, or Status Column, etc.), and will give a lot less informations on the result, than Undelete PLUS - thereby saving scanning time.

But of course Recuva is still a lot faster. I'll hope their next version will give a hole lot more info on the scanning. Undelete PLUS is a fine example on relevant info.

I wrote the author of Undelete Plus, but he has so far been more keen on finding faults in Recuva, than speeding up his baby's scanning time. But time will show.

Ads by google on 'file recovery'.

Curt:
 ;D

I've got mail:

>>Hello Curt,

Thanks a lot!!!!!

We found the way to increase speed at least twice. New version 2.53 will be
ready at Monday. It will also support compressed and sparse files and
some FAT32 bags will be fixed.

support at undelete-plus.com<<

:Thmbsup:

Lashiec:
Thanks for the screenshot, mouser.

52 seconds??!! That's AMAZING! I mean, the program I'm using right now (TuneUp Utilities bundled undelete utility) takes at least 3 times that time, but the level of accuracy (both in number of results, and the integrity of these results) is very low. I want a new computer NOW, to test the program. It seems more impressive than PhotoRec, a command line program which I tested a few months ago and amazed me with its thoroughness. It recovered files deleted ages ago, some embarrassing ones as well :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version