ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

wanted: quiet external HD (case) (not wanted: crying children)

<< < (5/6) > >>

longrun:
I use and recommend the SATAVault external enclosure, which has both eSATA (SATA II; some enclosures are only SATA I) and USB 2.0 outputs. It's cool, fast, and reliable and has a removable tray for hot-swapping drives. Unlike many enclosures it has no fan. I read numerous horror stories about drives burning up, but I've used a Seagate NL35 drive in one with no problems and without the drive's becoming hot. The vented aluminum case conducts heat much better than many other cases. See http://www.satagear.com/SS-302i-Silver_SATA_3.5_inch_Enclosure.html.

longrun:
My post was unclear: I read horror stories about other fanless enclosures, NOT the SATAVault. Mine has performed flawlessly.

f0dder:
I wonder how much sata I vs II matters for an external enclosure - it's not like a single drive will saturate even SATA-I. That enclosure looks really sweet though, I might consider something like that (though ideally what I really want is a fileserver :) ).

PS: what's the power connector like (the end you insert in the enclosure)? One of those flimsy svhs like pieces of crap, or something more sturdy?

longrun:
The power connector is like an SVHS connector. I find them awkward but I've connected and disconnected countless times with no problem.

Ruffnekk:
Ruffnekk, where did you get the drive at that price? In Europe, I mean... newegg has it cheaper, of course.

-urlwolf (January 23, 2007, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I bought it at a local Internet shop in the Netherlands (www.aces-direct.nl). They sell it for € 175.00 excl. VAT, which is 19% in Holland, so that comes to € 208.25 in total.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version