ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

wanted: quiet external HD (case) (not wanted: crying children)

<< < (3/6) > >>

brotherS:
An external drive is designed to be more rugged, not that it is a good replacement for a hockey puck, but it is designed to be used more aggressively.  Since the case is thicker, the components stronger and the internal shock-absorbing dampening material is insulatory in nature, there is less noise.  Also, keep in mind that since the shell of your computer can act as an amplifier similar to the body (sound box) of a guitar or violin, the actual noise of the installed device will be magnified which will, in turn, highlight the differing sound levels of the internal/internal drives.
-Farmsteader (January 21, 2007, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's only true when you aren't talking about a quiet PC (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6318.0) :)

brotherS:
nobody mentioned the fact that the baby's shirt is sooooooo wrong....
babies need huggles and kisses just like you guys do when you are upset with your puters
-Dell[a] (January 21, 2007, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
* brotherS hugs Dell[a] 8)
I don't get too upset anymore, I recommend http://www.mymotivator.com/images/AsAManThinketh.pdf (great read, short book)

CodeTRUCKER:
That's only true when you aren't talking about a quiet PC

--- End quote ---

How quiet a PC is all depends on the fan.  All other decibels are dwarfed by comparison.  Man, some fans sound like they are wind machines!

Ruffnekk:
I recently bought a 500GB Western Digital which is very quiet and fast. It wasn't so expensive either (~€ 200). What's cool is the LED button which shows how full the drive is :)

Some specs if interested:
SpoilerWestern Digital HDD 500GB MYBOOK PRO 1T 7.2K RPM 16MB CACHE USB2 FIWI IN NMS

WD's My Book Pro Edition external hard drive with triple interface combines three leading external hard drive interfaces (FireWire 800, FireWire 400, and USB 2.0) on one drive for maximum performance and universal connectivity. Designed to work on both Macintosh® computers and PCs, this drive includes powerful EMC Retrospect Express backup and recovery software, a unique Capacity Gauge LED, and capacities up to 500 GB.

Product Features

- Triple interface — FireWire 800, FireWire 400, and USB 2.0
- EMC Retrospect Express — Powerful backup software that includes full system backup and recovery, easy scheduling, and encryption.
- Capacity gauge — See at a glance how much space is available on your drive.
- Intelligent drive management features — Automatic power-up, Safe Shutdown?, and LED activity lights make this drive especially easy to use.
- Smart design — The compact elegant case, iconic of a book, takes up less space on your desk, stacks horizontally, and allows two or more drives to nestle neatly together like volumes on a shelf.
- High quality hard drive — Inside the case is an exceptionally fast (7200 RPM spin speed), ultra quiet, cool-running hard drive from WD...of course!
- One-year warranty in the U.S., two-year warranty in Europe

Ideal For

- High-speed backup of important documents and images
- Extra storage for your computer
- Automatic backups of your existing hard drive
- Archiving the music stored on your MP3 player
- Adding plenty of space for digital video capture and editing
- Saving and organizing your digital photo collection

brotherS:
I recently bought a 500GB Western Digital which is very quiet and fast. It wasn't so expensive either (~€ 200). What's cool is the LED button which shows how full the drive is :)
-Ruffnekk (January 22, 2007, 08:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Wow, that's a handy feature I never heard of before :)

I now ordered a 400GB Samsung SpinPoint (with 8MB cache) in a cooled case for ~€120. That's good enough for my needs.

@all: thanks for your advice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version