ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Paperless Home: Need document management software

<< < (4/12) > >>

joychen:
I use NeatReceipts in my home office.  Within the application, there are specific modules for receipts, business cards and documents.  It's a time saver due to OCR capabilities in the receipt and business card organizers.  It's pretty accurate at reading dates, vendor, amount, etc.  I scan in all of my receipts and I run various reports (huge help at tax time!) and I can export info to PDF, Quicken, etc. 

I also scan in my business cards and export to Outlook.  Only downside is lack of OCR in the doc organizer.

Runs about $200 for the scanner and software.  www.neatreceipts.com

CodeTRUCKER:
If it is as handy as you say, the time/aggravation would be worth every penny (maybe more).  You would never miss the the two-hundred bucks.  Nice find!

brotherS:
I use NeatReceipts in my home office.  www.neatreceipts.com
-joychen (January 15, 2007, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wow, they have nice video demos on their site! Combining a small, easy-to-handle scanner with some special is a nice idea. It must be close to perfect if you want a small and portable solution.

I ordered the Brother MFC-5440CN I described above, looking forward to less paper! :)

patteo:
Hmm, no one seems to have mentioned the ScanSnap.

I don't own one but I have tried one on loan to me. It is very fast, has a 50 page ADF, double sided scanning capability and a rather small footprint. The version I tried is the somewhat older model without OCR and Microsoft Office support which the current model has. Please be aware that ScanSnap is non twain compliant (at least the model which I tried fi-5110EOX wasn't). So using this older model, I could not detect the scanner from a software  that required a twain-compliant scanner to scan say an image or even a document in.

However, if works very well with the software that came with it.

There's also an accessory software that can be purchased called
"Rack2-Filerâ„¢ converts scanned documents and digital data into PDF files and inputs this data into e-files for total document management purposes. This "life-like" data can then be viewed by flipping through "e-binders" with the simple click of a mouse. Furthermore, Rack2-Filer is also loaded with a vast array of editing functions that renders troublesome digital data management a relic of the past."
http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/workgroup/rack2-filer.html

Quote Smallbiztechnology.com - technology is a tool! Use it to GROW your business.
"Fujitsu's ScanSnap scanner is good.

USA Today reports that Fujitsu's new $495 scanner is worth it, not only because it bundles Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0 which retails for $300, but because of the many features it includes such as it scans up to 15 pages per minute and converts them into the ubiquitous Portable Document Format with the touch of a button. It also captures both sides of a sheet of paper at the same time. (Unlike a flatbed, paper feeds through the top, much like many printers.)

The document feeder can accept up to 50 pages. To save disk space, it eliminates blank pages. It also automatically detects paper size, straightens and rotates images and figures out whether the document is in color or black and white.

The device also can scan business cards and includes software that reads the text and organizes it into a database. (It does require some manual setup through ScanSnap software)."
http://www.smallbiztechnology.com/avantgo/2004/06/fujitsus-snapscan-scanner-is-good.shtml

Check it out further at

ScanSnap S500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner : FUJITSU United States
"ScanSnap S500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner"
http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/workgroup/s500.html#Tab0/tab2

jeromg:
Been away recently, I'm still not sure which system I'm going to start with.
I've downloaded a trial version (15 days) of ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Pro, I've used it on my last bank statements, and the OCR did a great job (maintain layout, multi-page PDF). I may give a try to Paperport, but I'm not sure I'll need all the functionality.
Both (Paperport and Finereader) are quite expensive solutions ($150 range) and have comparable features. I need to get going and start something soon, my goal is to go paperless at home on Feb. 1st. :-[
I'll keep you posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version